Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 VZ Commodore "Check Power Train"

TimTams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ
G'day all!

I wish I could say my first post here was a bit happier! I just got hold of a 2004 VZ commodore which is otherwise in great nick except for the following problem. When i start the engine cold, it does it check etc.... and comes up with "Check Power train". It doesn't idle properly and if I put my foot on the accelerator it nearly stalls and misbehaves. After a moment it will rev up but once i take my foot off, it does it again. Once it 'warms up' it seems to go OK but seeing as my drive to work only lasts 1 minute it is pretty annoying...

I have had a look around and people have had SIMILAR problems (but not quite the same) so I don't want to go out and buy $120 O2 sensors without at least getting a few extra opinions specific to my problem. I have a couple of other questions too... should the engine still run OK without the O2 sensors connected (ie can I just unplug them to rule them out)? Does this car have an APS or TPS and would this cause the problem? What other things could be at fault?

I am trying to contact the last owned to find out if it started happening straight away or if it was a gradual thing.

Thanks heaps for any help!

Tim

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
You can get codes checked, that should tell you what's going on. Believe it or not, Holden is cheaper than most I looked up.

I think it was $60 at Holden, some places are 40, others are around 100.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Yep as was said go get the error codes checked. There can be numerous things they can trigger the 'Check Power Train' display, but the codes that come up using the scan tool will tell you exactly what has set the code off, you can begin diagnosing it from there. Even if Holden are a little dearer this is one thing the bit extra is worth paying for, as being a Holden dealership they will have specific flow charts to follow for certain codes that come up to find the exact problem with your car.

TimTams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ
Does anyone around Newcastle, NSW have a scan tool? I have called literally every mechanic I can find within range of where I live and none of them can manage to find five minutes to scan the computer between now and christmas....

:hmmm:

Can i do it without a scan tool?

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Talk to Scott Mewburn the Service Manager @ Pacific Holden, Gateshead.

I had that issue with my 2004 VZ Calais back when Scott used to work down in Sydney.

Turned out my issue was an O2 sensor. They could nominate which specific sensor failed from the codes (if that is your issue).

If you have to buy one it is cheaper than four (in the case of the 190Kw engine).

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Ok so I don't know if this will help or not, but when mode and set are held when turning ignition, and option under that menu is codes. Does anyone know what codes this shows?

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Does anyone around Newcastle, NSW have a scan tool? I have called literally every mechanic I can find within range of where I live and none of them can manage to find five minutes to scan the computer between now and christmas....

:hmmm:

Can i do it without a scan tool?

If you can get urself down to Sydney you are welcome to use mine. Bought it on eBay for about $250. Not Tech2, but it clears codes. Generally the computer clears them if switched off for a while

TimTams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ
Yeah I disconnected the battery and it cleared the error but did not help the problem :(

derrro thanks for the offer but at the moment I don't think the car would make it... It was playing up a lot yesterday. For now I'll stop driving it until it is fixed

Thanks for the advice Trent L i'll give him a call and let you know how I go

EDIT:

Just called scott he will look at it today for me :)

Last edited: