Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 Vz Commodore Oil Sludge Buildup Please Help

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
lol @ driving it after you noticed it had oil related issues.
Although true, not very constructive!

I would recommend you call a lot of local mechanics and get their opinions and proposed course of action.

Flushing with oil can never hurt, but I would be very hesitant to continue driving or running the motor if there is low oil pressure. Also once this is sorted I'd recommened regular oil checks of the dipstick etc as mentioend above, get someone to show you or read the manual to give you a 101 on what to check.

Good luck!

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Could try some engine flush stuff as well and sealant see how they go

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
a few american quick service lube outlets do a engine oil flush, (jiffy) do a you tube search.. flushing a motor too remove oil slush build up is really dangerous, i personally dont know.. but theres no ####in way im putting a vz alloy motor in a acid bath,, triclor ethaleyne maybe.. its what **** your dry cleaner uses, also a great dregreaser when heated, just watch the explosive vapours... the MORAL off this story dont be a cheap CHARLIE change your oil reguraly, more frequent if its only does short commutter trips

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The 15,000km service interval on the VY's and VZ's (also 15,000km I think?) is a bit too long I reckon especially for stop start driving conditions. That said my VY was only dealer serviced when specified and when I got it at 122,000km there was no sludge in the top of the motor that I could see but I don't know if most of the driving was city or country. It was doing about 15,000km in 9 months which are it's specified service intervals. I don't drive it a lot so I do it at 9 months which last time was only 5500km and it was just starting to go dark. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving any oil in a car's engine for 15,000km especially in an Alloytech motor which seems to sludge up a lot more than the Ecotechs. I think some people just service the car at the maximum intervals without realising that stop start city driving stuffs up the oil much faster than driving on the open road.

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
I had this exact problem one year ago, there is no two ways about it it's a blocked or partially blocked oil pickup, from sludge obviously. It's a sump off job if you can be bothered salvaging the engine, and let me tell you from experience it is not a fun job getting the sump off on a vz! A mechanic will charge u over a grand to do this do if you can't do it yourself then probably a 2nd hand engine is the better option. I was able to salvage my engine and it is now running better than ever oil is nice and clean each change and just ticked over 225,000!

VZSS01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Sedan
50/50 mix of engine oil and diesel and let it just sit at idle for 1/2 hour or so or until it gets nice and warm. Try that a cpl times. Diesel is an oil itself so you can prob even run a 75% diesel 25% oil mix just don't go revving the crap out of the car with these sorts of mixes tho.

Angeldust

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series Clubsport HRT edition
i had a blocked oil pickup on my 5oh, turned out someone (previous owner/mechanic) used silicon sealer on the sump to seal/stop it from leaking. Prolly worked well expect all the excess sealer ended up in my oil pickup.

So clean oil pickup, then flush engine. see how u go from there i guess.

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
Hey, I'm only new on here and hope someone can give me some advice, I brought a 2004 Holden VZ Commodore, which had been serviced only 2 days prior. So when it came time to service, i went and had the Major Service with Synthetic oil as this was recommended he told me next service at 10,000k. When that time came about 3 days before i planned to have it all done again the car started making a tapping noise which starting getting louder so after driving no longer then 2 mins i stopped and opened my oil cap which looked a little dry and hot, drove straight to a servo and brought 5ltrs of oil, which i put only 1 litre in, as the service was happening soon and didn't want to waste oil, then drove for 10 mins and the light came on and the noise started again so put another 2.5ltrs in so 3.5ltr in total, drove home another 10 mins with light coming on 3 times and noise was not to loud, booked in for the major service and only drove it from home to the mechanics bout 15 mins away light came on 3 times like 5 mins apart, had the synthetic service done again and he called me to say i have a sludge build up and a really bad noise, and low oil pressure, he said my options after he serviced it (that cost $190) to either pay about $3,00 -$4,500 to have the motor removed dipped in acid for days and have it put all back together and hope for the best, however no guarantee to fix the problem.
Or to buy a second hand motor he said about ($5000) and have that put in. Im only young with 2 young children and don't have this type over money just laying around to have any of the above done.
I went and drove my car directly home from the mechanics, it only made a light tapping noise about 20 mins into the drive home then sat in my garage since. Friends say to drain oil, and fill with either kerosene or Diesel for 24 hours then flush oil twice the new oil filter and new oil they think it will solve the problem. Im in 2 minds what to do, does anyone have any ideas or tips to help me out????? !!!!!!

Thanks in advance
Wortus has the right idea, even if you drop the sump to check the pick up to make sure it's clear. As for the price you've been quoted for just cleaning that's a bloody RIP off and 5k for a second hand engine is rubbish. You can get a record on yours for 4k but as your young with a family I'd try cleaning it with diesel oil as suggested first.