Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 Vz Commodore Oil Sludge Buildup Please Help

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When I do an oil change, I back flush the oil pump and clear the pickup screen.

Do via the oil filter housing. Use about a litre. Also flushes out any remaining schmutz from the sump.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Whats the process to back flushing the oil pump?
There is none its no way possible unless removing the front timing chain cover,, pumping oil down the oil filter line does very little, never herd of reverse flush with oil only radiator. If its possible I like to know as well.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just pour some fresh oil down the inlet where the oil filter sits.
It's nothing technical. As the oil goes back through the pump and clear away any thing stuck on the pick up.

I use a small funnel with a tube that fits down the hole in the bottom of the oil filter housing, it runs through the pump. At least you can see there's no blockages and the oil flows through nicely.

Not something that can be done on all cars, but the design of the alloytec allows for it.

I also always put a couple of 100ml of fresh oil through the motor before replacing the sump plug. Again, it gets a little more crud out.

Doesn't take any extra time, costs hardly anything more than the 300-500ml of oil and theres no harm in doing it.

I've done this (a bit extra through the motor before replacing the sump plug) on all my cars I've owned, and before that, Dad did it on all his cars, and before that his brothers are talented car restorers and they've done it, so goes back 50 years. No ones cars have blown up.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
as you all know im doing the cam chains do I have to fill the oil pump be fore starting new pump going in

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can get a high volume pump for these.
You won't be able to fill the pump.

Here's the pickup in this post. Poor bugger had a hell of a time.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
as you all know im doing the cam chains do I have to fill the oil pump be fore starting new pump going in
Just make sure or the ports are clean and unblocked, if I was spending all that time and effort I be replacing the oil pump as well, make sure all the seals are replaced inside the case. If u do as above with pouring about 1L of oil from the oil filter you then at less know there oil on that side.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Best we to remove crude is use a cheap oil and mix 50ml diesel with every litter of oil and let the engine idle for about 10min, drain and put good oil in her.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Used to do that in the Red 202, wouldn't do it in my VZ or VE.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
No different putting engine flush in it, 125ml of diesel for 13 bucks is robbery..