Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 SV6 - CAI \ MAF Mods - help me out ?

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
Hi all,
Looking at doing something in the way of a CAI kit \ fuel saver MAF type tune. The Brockshop in QLD has a FuelSaver setup - basically a air filter \ MAF mod. I was already looking at the SS Induction - VZ V6 Growler CAI Kit, so that $599 plus just the MAF sensor out of the other kit for another $300. (normally alloytech fuel saver kit is another $475).

I want the KW \ mid range performance from a CAI but is trying to couple that with a MAF mod a bad idea?

I suppose I need some knowledge \ direction here. I have also searched these forums for CAI and have been trying to understand it all - what I am trying to figure out is

1) is the SS product the same as the OTRCAI ? or is OTRCAI better?
2) although I know what MAF means and how it works, what would be the best outcome in that regard, for my SV6 in terms of "bolt on" easy to do mods - i.e Would it still be a good idea to get the MAF mod (to save fuel etc) with the CAI kit (for performance?) or is it going in two different directions or would cancel each other out etc ?

I probabily have it a little bit mixed up, so excuse the ignorance.

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
Dun waste ur time with the SS inductions stuff

fit a Monaro Cold Air Intake (MCAI) shroud and do a two hole mod (use the search function + im sure some1 else will link to it for me :D )

cost u maybe $20 - $25 bucks and some of your time

i dunno about 'MAF' mods and exactly what they would do seeing its a plastic body so its not like you can port it etc. maybe they remove the plastic screen at the front? i dunno but either way ive never heard of anyone doing it so yeh cant really comment etc. id stay away from what could possibly be some way of tricking the maf to either lean/richen mixtures etc vcm tune will be out soon enough anyway :thumbsup:

so yeh thats my 2 cents

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
Dun waste ur time with the SS inductions stuff

fit a Monaro Cold Air Intake (MCAI) shroud and do a two hole mod (use the search function + im sure some1 else will link to it for me :D )

cost u maybe $20 - $25 bucks and some of your time

So the normal Monaro CAI - 2hole mod can be done on the VZ? I have been searching and found some issues with the Radiator overflow getting in the way - requiring a special HSV special type Airbox \ part that has a bent 2nd hole etc.

A post regarding this, on the 2nd page "markovr" talks about the VZ needing a special HSV box due to the radiator resevoir - just a bit confused as to whats exactly required?
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=24078&page=2

I found this for the 2-hole mod , but says nothing about utilsing the monaro CAI box etc. http://swingtan.customer.netspace.net.au/2hole.html

Another - yet it already had the standard required airbox etc. http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/ute/vy_ute_airbox.html

Anyone want to correct me? Can anyone 100% confirm that a standard Monaro CAI kit with a 2hole mod works fine on the VZ (sv6) or better yet, link a full set of instructions for the correct box and fitting. Once again, I aplogoise if I have missed it in my searches.

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
So the normal Monaro CAI - 2hole mod can be done on the VZ? ........
I found this for the 2-hole mod , but says nothing about utilsing the monaro CAI box etc. http://swingtan.customer.netspace.net.au/2hole.html

This is the system I followed twin inlet pipes:thumbsup:
didn't bother with the Monaro bottom box
used a hard black 65mm poly pipe from Bunnings $10 instead of 80mm
came in a 1 mtr lgth in the lighting dept

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
You do not need anything other than the standard lower air box

v8 air box = alloytec air box with the exception of the HSV VY2 onwards which has a second piece to it anyway

all you need is the front shroud which you need to trim at the bottom so as to clear the rad tank in front

img0399jl9.jpg

you can see on the very edge of the photo the shroud sealing around the headlight under the guard

img0400hm1.jpg

here u can see it installed on my sv6 so yes it does fit if u trim it

i did this trial fit first hand to see if it would fit before doing the two hole mod

the advantage putting the shroud on is it seals around the head light so it does not draw air from the engine bay etc

hope this helps

when in doubt try it for urself air box parts do not cost a lot maybe 15 - 20 bucks a piece

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Totally agree, Manaro CAI or home made is the way to go. SS inductions is **** house.

The Brock Shop are a pack of wankers.

There modified bottom air box is just a 70mm hole drilled in the engine side of the box. Perfect if you want nice hot air in there.

As for there MAF modification. Its CRAP. All they do is cut some of the plastic mesh out. They dont do anything else. A mate of mine purchased the kit and had it fitted for a month. It didnt do a thing. He ended up sending it back.

THE BROCK SHOP = RIPOFF :bang:

Dover1123

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S Ute
Just a quick question...

I've got an 05 S, it has an attachment on the front of the air box that runs up to the radiator shroud to collect the air.

Should I or would I benefit from moding this at all? Second hole mod would only collect air from inside the engine bay, while the current setup collects it from the front (sort of...)

Any ideas?

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
Mate if u look at what ive typed + the piccy

the MCAI replaces this intake pipe :thumbsup:

the MCAI seals around the headligh so u dont suck hot air from the engine bay

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
once the tune software is released, hopefully a mafless version will also be available, then i might be able to test the pt otr off my ss, hopefully it could cain someting in the vacinity of 2mph and 2 tenths like the gen 3

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V

v8 air box = alloytec air box with the exception of the HSV VY2 onwards which has a second piece to it anyway

all you need is the front shroud which you need to trim at the bottom so as to clear the rad tank in front

[

Willz - you have confused me a little - although thanks for the detailed response.
I guess means I dont need the lower box from the monaro?

So .. ok, are you saying my Sv6 VZ airbox is the same as the one that I would have bought just without the 2nd hole that comes on the VYs etc

So ... ummm now i do need something? I have these part numbers from another thread.. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=24078&highlight=MCAI

92102689 HOSE - AIR CLEANER SCOOP --------- (Dont think i need this one..)
92102700 SEAL - AIR CLEANER SCOOP --------- (Dont think i need this one..)
92096849 DUCT - AIR INLET TO AIR CLEANER --------- (Think I need this one, think its the "shroud")

Its fairly straight forward, I need or order this shroud that creates the box effect around the left hand headlight plus adding some PVP pipes and extra holes between my existing airbox and the newly ordered shroud (removing my old snorkel up to the radaitor cover erc..)

All that being said, I am still confused as to the Part # or better description of what to order from Holden. I rang westpoint yesterday and the guy on the phone couldnt help me as argued it wouldnt fit and I must have accurate part numbers and he couldnt find it by a description etc. Also, Is it a HSV part - thus requiring a HSV build \ engine number?

Last edited: