Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 Tiida

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by losh1971, Mar 9, 2020.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Question for those who work on cars for a living. Step daughter just bought a Tiida auto. Wife drove it today and reckoned it was driving quite poorly. Best i can find is loose info about problematic CVTs but nothing concrete. Anyone know a bit about these and common problems?

2. mechanic

mechanic Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    I can't think of anything outrageous with the Tiida. The CVT should be serviced regularly, but the fluid is quite expensive at $80 per litre. That said I'd only ever use genuine fluid. The PCM displays a fluid life countdown indicator available through a compatible scan tool.

Nissan CVTs whine a bit... may have something to do with the gear tooth angles, or the fluid or something. That said I've never replaced or had to diagnose a problem with one.

I hate that some models don't have a driver's armrest. This gives the impression of feeling spacious, but uncomfortable.

losh1971 likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Using the wrong fluid in CVT's will give problems (well documented when they were starting to be imported in bulk).
    Maybe check that as a start. I remember test driving a cvt when they were new, definitely interesting at the time.

losh1971 likes this.
  4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Thanks for that men, I will tell the wife they need to book the trans in as well. I have a bit of an idea with the CVT, how weird they drive at least as the wifes 2015 Outlander has one.