Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ Commodore Parking brake shoe

Jemz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Equipe
When pulling the handbrake of my vz commodore the drivers side sinks right down when in drive, and when in reverse the opposite occurs. Is this to do with the rear suspension - normal braking works perfectly fine. Or does the parking brake shoe need to be adjusted ?? This area isn't my expertise so im half lost.

thanks

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Watch the average street drag car on launch.
They will do the same due to torque.
Drivers rear will squat down while passenger front lifts up.
Nothing to do with hand brake.

Jemz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Equipe
Watch the average street drag car on launch.
They will do the same due to torque.
Drivers rear will squat down while passenger front lifts up.
Nothing to do with hand brake.
Its only the drivers side going up and down while the left side stays at normal ride height :confused:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Does the wheel get hot while driving? One back wheel getting hotter than the other?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Feel the wheel nuts after driving.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
When pulling the handbrake of my vz commodore the drivers side sinks right down when in drive, and when in reverse the opposite occurs. Is this to do with the rear suspension - normal braking works perfectly fine. Or does the parking brake shoe need to be adjusted ?? This area isn't my expertise so im half lost.

thanks
sounds like you shouldn't be playing with brakes, they are very important and can kill you and/or others if they fail or incorrectly adjusted, do yourself and others a favour to extend your life, take it to a qualified mechanic.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Just sounds like one brake isnt adjusted correctly. You need to remove both rear wheels and adjust both parking brakes. If you arent confident to do this then you should take your car to a mechanic. I did mine the other day and it takes like 15minutes for the total job.

Jemz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Equipe
Does the wheel get hot while driving? One back wheel getting hotter than the other?

Feel the wheel nuts after driving.

sounds like you shouldn't be playing with brakes, they are very important and can kill you and/or others if they fail or incorrectly adjusted, do yourself and others a favour to extend your life, take it to a qualified mechanic.

Just sounds like one brake isnt adjusted correctly. You need to remove both rear wheels and adjust both parking brakes. If you arent confident to do this then you should take your car to a mechanic. I did mine the other day and it takes like 15minutes for the total job.
Thanks for the info, if its a higher possibility to be the shoe adjustment itself then fair enough, just hoping it wasn't the suspension since i threw new ones in not long ago when changing all the shot bushings

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you use Rubber bushes or Urethane?
A problem with the suspension could definitely cause the issue you have.