Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ SS vibration at lights

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
G'day. So I have an ss with the usual stuff. Twin 3 inch exhaust. While at the lights in Drive it vibrates a bit towards the middle of the car and makes the centre console a tad noisy. If put it park or neutral the revs go up a little and it goes away. It doesn't vibrate at all any other time. Just while stopped and in drive, and also while reversing out of the driveway basically idling.

Previously it had horrible vibrations when some idler pulley needed replacing and it had Whiteline solid engine mounts.

The engine mounts have been replaced with genuine mounts, and the transmission mount has just been replaced too after being suggested as the possible cause.

When I next get the chance I plan on letting the car idle on stands and look under it. But has anyone had and fixed this issue before? The vibrations aren't violent, they're just a but annoying.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
OK you have genuine mounts so that is a good start
The fact it vibrates when in drive (under load) then stops vibrating when in neutral indicates to me a miss of sorts so I would start with plugs
followed by coils if necessary,
then of course the customary throttle body clean.

Having said that I would also seriously inspect the exhaust for drumming as this can also cause vibrations of sorts.

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
OK you have genuine mounts so that is a good start
The fact it vibrates when in drive (under load) then stops vibrating when in neutral indicates to me a miss of sorts so I would start with plugs
followed by coils if necessary,
then of course the customary throttle body clean.

Having said that I would also seriously inspect the exhaust for drumming as this can also cause vibrations of sorts.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check those things. Plugs haven't been used for that long, but I'll check them for sure.

But what is drumming?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Two 3” pipes

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Twin 3” pipes is ‘Ken huge.

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Twin 3” pipes is ‘Ken huge.
You should see the headers. Picked them up second hand advertised as 1" 3/4 primaries. Turned out to be 1" 7/8s. Have to avoid certain roads because of them.

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Not necessarily but worth a look.
Any change to exhausts can cause drumming sounds i.e vibrations through the car at certain revs.
They sound great throughout the rest of the rev range. But I was thinking that the hangers might be too stuff? I just bought the cheapest pack on eBay at the time when putting the new rear section in.

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
plug leads maybe worth changing if you haven't already