Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ SS vibration at lights

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
What happens if you have it in drive, foot on the brake and also raise the revs a bit?
Only asking as Neutral/park has a slightly higher idle value than drive?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Whoopsie daisy.
8587EB2D-E535-4772-8966-69C2F9E4F53D.jpeg

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
What happens if you have it in drive, foot on the brake and also raise the revs a bit?
Only asking as Neutral/park has a slightly higher idle value than drive?
I've just given that a go now. So it idles at roughly 600rpm. Just above the 500 mark. When I ever so slightly increase it to around the next mark at 750 it goes away. It's almost like a humming vibration. Again, not violent. Just annoying.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I
I've just given that a go now. So it idles at roughly 600rpm. Just above the 500 mark. When I ever so slightly increase it to around the next mark at 750 it goes away. It's almost like a humming vibration. Again, not violent. Just annoying.
It's sounding very much like exhaust drum
up the idle and no more probs.

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I

It's sounding very much like exhaust drum
up the idle and no more probs.
I'm still not quite sure what an exhaust drum actually is?

Unfortunately I can't change the idle as it has an electronic throttle. So I guess I'll just leave it for now unless it ever gets retuned.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Yeah they can up it in a tune.

By drum what is ment is the acoustics are creating a vibration somewhere potentially through harmonics.
Something is picking up on that and it becomes in tune with that frequency and hums away the same.
I get a similar thing in the Ute with a very annoying bass like tone from the hardlid at say 80kph in 6th. Used to not be there with just a catback but with a full system it became noticable.

One thing you could try is to get some sound deadening matting and see if that makes any changes,

Jharv588

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Yeah they can up it in a tune.

By drum what is ment is the acoustics are creating a vibration somewhere potentially through harmonics.
Something is picking up on that and it becomes in tune with that frequency and hums away the same.
I get a similar thing in the Ute with a very annoying bass like tone from the hardlid at say 80kph in 6th. Used to not be there with just a catback but with a full system it became noticable.

One thing you could try is to get some sound deadening matting and see if that makes any changes,
Awesome. Thanks for explaining that. Will look into it once I next get the chance.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has it been tuned since the headers and exhaust was fitted?