Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 vz sv6 engine change to another 2005 engine

Teamsmada

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6, and Holden colorado
Hi all, so last year my lovely teenager decided he wanted to blow up my 2005 vz sv6,
So I am replacing the engine, I have pulled the old engine out and dropped the new one in, they where both from the same year but had some slight deference’s, the old one was the black top and the new one was the silver top, the wiring loom is slightly different on the new one, it doesn’t have exhaust plugs and the engine seems to have a few less sensors aswell. Now the car is turning but not firing up at all. I changed the loom to suit the new engine aswell to see if that worked but no joy.
The flywheel was a little different aswell. One was flat and the other had the 3 flares on it. So I changed the fly wheel from the old one to the new one, It’s turning pretty easy but still no fire.
Do I need to change the ecu or is there more deeper things I need to sort out?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
One would assume you didn't swap engine for engine (what ever was originally in it)
eg: LY7 for LY7 or LEO for LEO or LLT for LLT
Unfortunately you can not mix and try and match.
Otherwise It would have bolted straight up and back on the road.
You could change the ECU, but, you will need to get it linked to the BCM, and other various options changed,
theoretically it should work, physically it wont, and could be a PITA, and possibly expensive.

Teamsmada

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the reply mate, so after reading a few responses on other posts, I fired the original ecu into the car and it fired straight away, a little rough and the starter is now tired after trying so many times the other way, but the car ran with the original ecu for a minute, so hopefully heading in the right direction, however may need a new starter motor now

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The car will run like ****. Because you have put an LE0 motor in instead of the LY7 that the SV6 has, you’ll likely get sensor faults for ever.

The motor you replaced it with won’t have variable exhaust cam timing, it will be missing the intake variable flow motor in the back of the intake plenum. The intake plenum from the LY7 can be swapped to the LE0 just fine to solve that problem.

When the ECM starts and doesn’t get feedback from the exhaust solenoids and cam sensors it will log a fault and drivability is likely to be heavily compromised by the ECM to protect the motor and it’s confused state.

You are looking for an LY7 motor. It can be from VZ or VE. Just swap all your old sensors over to the newer engine and keep the others as spares. I would also strip the old motor of parts to keep as spares where ever possible.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should mention that while both motors appear visually the same at a glance, it’s the operating systems attached to them that is the dogs breakfast when swapping between them. It will become like an engine swap to a completely different motor like a Barra or LS1,2 etc. it’s the engine management attached to them that is the hard part.

Teamsmada

Reaction score
Members Ride
Internally are they much the same? Would you possibly suggest rebuilding the original motor using parts from the new motor as I think it is the bottom end that went, meaning I would have the correct engine with the right sensors on it?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m fairly sure there are internal differences with the motors as well. I’m sure someone will chime in with a correction if I’m wrong on that. Different cams and crank.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You will be best to source another LY7 VZ-S1 VE or rebuild your current LY7 and make it sing with new cams etc.