Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ sv6 slight overheating issues

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Hi guys,

Firstly, the number of times I've searched a problem with my car and found a link to this forum on google top result with help has been massive over the years !! So thanks to anyone that's helped people on here, google doing its job!!!

I have a vz sv6 auto, I will drive to my mums place (50km) and it'll be fine, I will drive back a couple hours later and I stop half way at milk bar and it's getting a bit warm. I know my temp gauge and it's sitting on about two and a fraction notches, about a half a notch or a notch higher then usual. And under the bonnet you can smell that coolant/overheating smell. I let it cool down, coolant level seems ok, drive home and then on the way home the temp gos down at least a notch, hardly any smell. Checked coolant reservoir on cold car and it looks like it's over the full hole mark on stick.

Yesterday I went into town, noticed the gauge up that little extra like before, can smell the coolant again, drove home ok, temp reduced again a little on drive home, checked coolant this morning and coolant reservoir still full or even slightly over full. Also, opened that coolant cap on the motor and seemed a bit dirty, could see a bit of coolant in there, I'm not sure if that's good or bad, in the past it's been clean in there.

Firstly, it does need an oil change asap, could this be a reason for slight overheating? I talked to a guy at Holden shop just where I actually had parked my car and he said it's unlikely to be a oil issue, something else.

Any advice? I am strapped for cash but the thought of losing a vehicle gives me a tumor!!!
Could i fix the problem by going and giving it a oil change today? I'm certainly no mechanic but I've read a guide on here about changing oil, I think I'm up for that challenge. (Oil change, oil filter change) Or should I attempt flushing the coolant? I should say the radiator was replaced a couple years ago after it had a hole in it, but had no issues up u til recently.

If you guys could give me any advice at all for some thing I might be able to do myself, or you think I should take it straight to a mechanic that would be great.

Thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
When you take off the pressure cap with the engine cold is the coolant full?
After going for a drive like to your mums have you felt if the top radiator hose has pressure in it by squeezing it? It should hold good pressure in it for about 10 minutes after you stop . That means there are no leaks that let pressure out, and the pressure cap is ok. You might just need a new pressure cap if it's been a few years and the reservoir is over full.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Remove the drivers side engine cover (lifts up and off) and check the heater tap for leaks.
After going for a drive like to your mums have you felt if the top radiator hose has pressure in it by squeezing it? It should hold good pressure in it for about 10 minutes after you stop . That means there are no leaks that let pressure out, and the pressure cap is ok. You might just need a new pressure cap if it's been a few years and the reservoir is over full.

That is interesting cause with my vz I can unscrew the pressure cap on the engine and no pressure straight after an hours drive., and still full at the cap, however the radiator and cap are reasonably new, as is the heater tap.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You have a problem if you can do that without coolant spraying everywhere and burning you!
I suggest using a genuine cap from Holden on these cars, the supercheap, Repco, CPC, Tridon etc don't work.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
No it's not full at all, i feel like a tard lol, the coolant reservoir seems over the plastic dipstick? Should i top up under presuure cap with water or mixed coolant? And top it right up to brim?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
You should top it up under the pressure cap (don't open it when it's hot or under pressure), clamp the expansion tank hose closed, with the radiator bleed screw out ( top of the radiator battery side) and fill it until it at least runs out from there, then screw the bleed screw closed, and top up until the filler neck under the pressure cap is full. Then run your car in the driveway with the cap off until its hot and undo the bleed screw and do it all again. Remember to do up the bleed screw and remove the clamp from the expansion hose.

But if you have any leaks anywhere (heater tap is really common, along with cracked radiator) then you will keep sucking in air, so fix these first.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
You should top it up under the pressure cap (don't open it when it's hot or under pressure), clamp the expansion tank hose closed, with the radiator bleed screw out ( top of the radiator battery side) and fill it until it at least runs out from there, then screw the bleed screw closed, and top up until the filler neck under the pressure cap is full. Then run your car in the driveway with the cap off until its hot and undo the bleed screw and do it all again. Remember to do up the bleed screw and remove the clamp from the expansion hose.

But if you have any leaks anywhere (heater tap is really common, along with cracked radiator) then you will keep sucking in air, so fix these first.
That sounds pretty complicated for me to do, is it very hard?, Ive seen videos of similar things where they put the heater on while they do it? When I got the radiator fixed a couple years ago the mechanic was just topping it right up at the pressure cap, and told me to keep doing it for a couple days. Would something bad happen if I just topped that pressure cap with spring water?
I keep trying to check the reservoir, it would help if I could even see the sides of it but they make it so hard, took that massive piece of plastic above the radiator off, do you even need that? Is it just to stop junk dropping down there? What if it needs a new air filter, could that make it get warm?

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
is this video ok to follow? DO I just buy some already diluted coolant to top it up?