Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ sv6 slight overheating issues

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
ok, I think Im confident enough to do it, just not sure whether to empty the coolant thats in it first or just top up, anyone?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just depends how much you want to spend.
Topping it up at the pressure cap like your mechanic said is a good place to start then bleed air with the screw. It should always be full up to the pressure cap. Still sounds like you need a new cap to me to stop it all ending up in the reservoir unless it's leaking somewhere else and you've been filling the reservoir rather than the pressure cap? ( you should try to get both at the right levels).
The red 50/50 mixed coolants are the easiest to use like the Nulon one, assuming your mechanic hasn't put green in it? They go on sale quite often.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Just depends how much you want to spend.
Topping it up at the pressure cap like your mechanic said is a good place to start then bleed air with the screw. It should always be full up to the pressure cap. Still sounds like you need a new cap to me to stop it all ending up in the reservoir unless it's leaking somewhere else and you've been filling the reservoir rather than the pressure cap? ( you should try to get both at the right levels).
The red 50/50 mixed coolants are the easiest to use like the Nulon one, assuming your mechanic hasn't put green in it? They go on sale quite often.
Hi, thanks for the comment!! It's got red in it now, I live outside of city are and the servos here only have some crappy blue stuff so I'll have to drive to supercheap or autobarn, he probably didnt even bleed it, I read on here that a lot of mechanics dont think you need to. Is it beneficial to empty the old coolant from radiator or will I just top up with new red coolant,. and just need to know if I have to get nulan coolant or i can get a cheaper one they have, auto barn have a special still on so i may just get the nulan one. And I have to get distilled water? spring water no good from aldi?

Last edited:

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well Nulon and most of the other brands have 2 types of red coolant. The concentrated one and the premixed one. If your just doing top ups it's easier to use the premix and just pour it in, you don't need to mix it with distilled water.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Well Nulon and most of the other brands have 2 types of red coolant. The concentrated one and the premixed one. If your just doing top ups it's easier to use the premix and just pour it in, you don't need to mix it with distilled water.
THANKS MAN, should be ok for the commodore yeh? just bleed it with the screw on radiator and heater on?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep, you can look up the Nulon or Penrite or whatever website to see what they recommend for your car but that should be it. Who knows what your mechanic used.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I wrote the same issue last week and only got two replies let's try and fix it together