Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006/2007 VE Model's Check Engine Light Occurring Frequently?

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Hi Guys,

I've got 3 friends who own a VE and 2 mates at work who also own, they all own either a 2006 or 2007 model and in the last 12 month have been hit but what I am now seeing more frequently on JC/VE Forums appearing also for others.

Most of my mates try and fix these issues themselves now that there car is our of new car warranty but they are guessing what the problem might be, as some had intermittent engine light appearance day in and day out, and then some where very infrequent might appear for 2 days, then not again for several days and then of course there was me who has ESP turn off occasionally at low speeds and then sometimes the check engine light would illuminate.

I have spoken and looked at (my friends, work mates) VE's at my home and without a Tech2/Cheap Scan tool we have fooled around abit. Out of 6 VE (3 been Omega, 2 Been Sv6 and 1 been Calais) we have been able to get rid of the issue although I cant be sure how we fixed it has fixed the issue entirely but its stopped the engine light from illuminating and reporting issues with ESP. - Without a Tech2/Scan Tool you are guessing on issues. So if it was a drivechain issue then doing any of the below wouldnt fix it as I do know some 2006 models did suffer from drivechain problems. If you kept your car good until end of warranty then its likely this post might help.

I preformed the following things on each of the cars and costed me a total of $180 per car in stuff from Supercheap/Autobarn.

• Remove each ABS sensor and clean.
  • Flushed Coolling System (not required unless 5 years old as per holden spec, but I did this anyway as we were clueless of causes of engine light).
  • Changed Engine Oil & Filter
  • Check AirFilter, none looked like it needed replacing so we didnt do this - but it is an idea if its due.
  • Replace spark plugs, even if your not feeling misfire or loss of power - all cars were above 140k in odometer reading.
  • If you are getting just intermittent ESP turning off and have ever seen ABS illuminate or Alternator symbol on screen check your Battery Voltage with car off for more than 4 hours and should be ~13v, with car running 14.2v+ if its under these there is any issue here. You can either replace your battery for anything between 180-240$ for a decent one and play the luck game or book at local holden dealer. ABS will fault if there is low voltage detected which will mean ESP will turn off forcefully and even if your car can start if your battery has been on low voltage for awhile could indicate issue with your battery or alternator. + We all know some 2006 models suffered from a software issue to do with draining battery so if your car never got this, holden service may be the wiser choice so there responsible in fixing it as they will suggest to put a new battery in even if you have already done so.

In summer, with outside temperatures above 38 degrees with your AIRCON running at max you may find your dash light up the alternator illumination and display on screen to check alternator - this has been seen on several cars and the alternator light just went away a day after. Dont have an explanation for this other than, its not a permanent issue as if it was the alternator illumination would remain days after.

To Reset Engine Illumination on Dash without a ScanTool/Tech2 disconnect the battery from the car for half an hour, your clocks and everything in the car will reset though (Radio Stations buttons/config Stayed for me?) - The logged error code will still remain in the computer regardless but this will get rid of the annoying orange dash light. Otherwise if you have done the above tasks you can just wait for a day or two and it should just go away of the fault was resolved.

I'm not sure how to check the transmission fluid level as I believe the 5 speed auto's dont have a dipstick in the engine bay and you need to get underneath to check - need someone to verify and fact this up a bit more.

On all the cars I preformed the above, I haven't seen or been told the engine light to illuminate or ESP randomly turn itself off and its been up to 6 month for some and couple month for mine and others.

This isnt a guide, or anything more a fact of interest as I know if your anything like me small issues like this bug me, especially when the car seems to run fine with then engine light on (minus ESP working). For $180 some may prefer to preform these tasks rather than, book at a local dealer and pay possibly more because if a ABS sensor is dirty they would quote to replace rather than just clean it. (Then again some just prefer to replace, but each to there own).

If anyone has any feedback, or would like pictures of any of the work preformed above, let me know I did take some on my iPhone incase I decided to write several howto's for VE V6 Alloytecs.

And if anyone does do the above and it solves there issue, please post to let others know of your symptoms and what you did to resolve. You could save someone a bit of cash :)
Cheers :boxing:

Last edited:

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Hey mate.
First time JC user, long time reader.

I too have recently bought a 2007 Commodore Lumina, and just today, I took it to my mechanic for a local service.

Apparently, due to a design flaw, around the 100 000 or so mark, the timing chain becomes loose and starts rubbing on a 'check engine' sensor in the immediate vicinity.

I have only begun to look into the said flaw, and will return once I have a clearer picture.

However, I think you might need to replace the belt. (Mechanic said you might even need a new engine, but I recon it's just a scare tactic).

If you do find the source of the problem, please be sure to let us know.

Regards,
S

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
Hmm interesting, Im finally taking my omega to a mechanic tomorrow to sort this issue. He reckons the cooling flush could be the fix... Buggered if i know. Anyways how come when people say they will report back with what happened with their problems or solutions they never seem to. Mr_s how did it go or not go are you still looking into it? Anyways by Wednesday night I will report back with how this shitty problem went

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Cooling system flush wont do dick. How can new coolant prevent an engine light coming on? Save your money and find a new mechanic.

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
I concur Ricey, well after having spark plugs replaced all sensors cleaned of muck, new oil in and a general look over this mechanic can't figure it out so I'm left with a pretty smooth running car, and the most annoying chime every time the car is started. I really don't wanna take it to the Holden.... May have to face my fears, I shall get to the bottom of this and & report back. At least my old Camry didn't have these issues :/

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Guys,

Been away along time sorry - I worked out how to fix it. Scantool see whats triggering it and just solve that problem. My friend also had same issue and we solved it, issues where differant mine was oil pressure sensor and his was due too a combination of low tread on front left wheel and very unaligned balance.

If your in melbourne close to Chadstone might be able to help you on a scan if you need for codes.

Cheers

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
of the above issues, i only have 1 and that is the ESP intermittent problem. Who told you about the low voltage details? My battery was replaced when i first bought the car. And it still does it, so i don't know if that could be the reason. Unless for some reason while driving the voltage goes under 14.2V? if it does, that may cause the ESP light/ESP to turn off. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to do with this problem. Doing some more research but i may just get a ESP software update and see how that goes.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
CDS...i have 07 SV6. took to the local mech and holden both told me timing chain. i asked to see the codes both refused said no customers in workshop. just want to confirm 100% on the code. any chance of me coming over to where the scantool is and see for sure what the code is. whats it going to cost for the scan to find out my code. . i am in south east melbourne. i know chadstone area...

thanks heaps.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
CDS...i have 07 SV6. took to the local mech and holden both told me timing chain. i asked to see the codes both refused said no customers in workshop. just want to confirm 100% on the code. any chance of me coming over to where the scantool is and see for sure what the code is. whats it going to cost for the scan to find out my code. . i am in south east melbourne. i know chadstone area...

thanks heaps.

DTC’s P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018, and P0019.

These codes all relate to Engine Position Performance and Crank / Cam Position Correlation.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i know what codes to look for.. thanks for the info. its getting a scantool to check myself. and CDS i think might have one that i can use for a min. been paying $100 from holden and now $50 from a mech both wouldnt let me see the codes. just told me they cleared them. but when i start car .. right away comes up check engine light.