Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 SVZ sedan - LSD / traction control.

Journeyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore svz
I have a SVZ that I am very happy with - except for the lack of traction in slippery conditions.
Now I have to say I am not experienced, all I know is in greasy / slippery [ muddy.] conditions, one wheel seems to loose traction very easily.
We are pensioners and are considering seeing more of Australia [not necessarily 4x4.] but a little extra traction = a bit more satisfaction.

Traction control I believe restrains the spinning wheel - resulting in better traction to the non gripping wheel.??
LSD as I understand it drives both wheels [equally.?] and this would appear to be more practical.
Is traction control a reasonable retro fit to my car.?
If so what would the pros and cons be between fitting an LSD or Fitting traction control.

Appreciate your comments
thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
AFAIK traction control isn't something that can really be retrofitted, not easily at least.

LSDs aren't really geared towards traction in regular/non-standard driving circumstances like 4WDs are, they're more of a performance item and don't lock all the time depending on the type of LSD (there are a few) you use and circumstances you drive in. Most daily driving 4WDs operate with an open diff any way, and only lock or engage 4WD when the driver picks that mode, which a Commodore doesn't have.

I'd put your money towards better tyres to be honest because this sounds like the weakest link in your case, because if you're easily single spinning as is, you'll just double spin with an LSD (and if you break traction at speed with an LSD you're gonna have a bad time). If you've got noticeable camber wear that's probably an indicator that not as much tyre is on the road as should be either, can be remedied to some extent with a camber kit.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The Sv6 would have been a better buy. It also has slightly wider tyres and traction control.

However the real basic problem you have is the tyres on the car. You can at great expense fit an LSD but if you run low quality, old or worn tyres on your car the LSD won't help you much. Those 4 little patches of rubber is all that is keeping your car on the road so you need to fit the best tyres you can afford. If the tyres you have are slipping as you have described you need to replace them because a very good quality tyre with a decent amount of tread still on them will not slip and slide in normal driving.

1. The stock tyres on that SVZ car are 225 50 17 on an 8 inch wheel. That size tyre was chosen because of cost. On that wheel you can fit a wider tyre for better grip as is fitted to the VZ SV6 model which are, in stock size, 235 45 17. The VZ is a large and fairly heavy car and a 235 tyre is the smallest width I would fit to that car. So I would suggest you upgrade to 235 45 17. This tyre also carries a significantly higher load rating.

2. Everyone wants long wear and lots of grip but it's always a compromise. Tyres with very good grip are much cheaper than an accident repair on your car and medicals bills but many people with cars like yours just buy the cheapest tyre they can find. Typically the tyres at the cheaper end will be OK when brand new but after 15000 kms and a year or 2 of age they will slip and slide. Then they typically become even worse again as they wear and age further.

1. Bridgestone are currently running a 4 tyres for 3 price and that is a very good deal. I would highly recommend for your car the POTENZA RE003 ADRENALIN and it is available in both 225 50 17 and the 235 45 17 size I would rather fit on the wheels.
This is a very good quality tyre with very good grip but not a high mileage tyre you are going to get 65000 kms from. Fit these tyres and you will not be complaining about grip (or tyre noise) and they typically don't deteriorate much in grip level with time and wear until very near replacement time.

2. Another very good tyre which offers very good grip are the Japanese built Nitto Invo tyres - widely available here now. These are very well priced for a quality tyre, offering very good performance characteristics. Fit these and you will not be complaining about grip levels either, wet or dry.(Bob Jane outlets).

Journeyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore svz
Thank you Sean & RJK - You have put things into perspective for me.
And as you suggest start at the tyres.
Wear, within reason is secondary - Wet weather braking and control in the wet are the primary considerations
I have had the car since new - currently 235,000 Km.
Original 50 series Bridgestones were good - but when it came to replacing there appeared to be better value tyres to be had.???.
Went to Falken ZIEX - ZE912 :- 235 45 17 - they were amazing - very happy.!
so when it came to next replacement 2+ years later - Stayed with same Falken tyres - Big disappointment, from day one these had no where near same traction and I believe they were noisier.
Anyway persevered with them for 2 years, when replacement time came around I spoke the tyre man - Highway tyres - he agreed that Falken did have a less than satisfactory batch, but they were back onto the original formula - He had them on his ute.!
Well the 3rd set were not quite as bad as the 2nd but not a patch on the first set.
So No More Falken tyres for me.!
I am coming up for replacement tyres gain and will certainly look at the Nitto and the Bridgestone RE 003.
Have purchased Bridgestones for my partners Honda civic from Bob Jane, great tyres, and they did us a good deal.
I am fortunate in that I have very little "camber wear" on the rears.
Thankyou both for your practical advice.
I appreciate it
NB I had the accelerator sender unit fail - very interesting experience - had it replaced and ever since then the car just seems to hook up so much stronger on initial acceleration - actually queried it with the mechanic to see if he had tweaked the engine management system - he said no everything was / is standard - but I still reckon it sure takes off well, perhaps this may be part of my wet weather problem.?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Traction control modulates power (torque) to the transmission wheels (rear) when wheel slip is detected. It is effective, but will not save face in extreme, careless conditions. You may experience wheel slip/spin when accelerating on wet lines at traffic lights; sometimes it is only momentary and there isn't necessarily a warning of remedy taking place.

I would not touch anything in the quest to make it better with aftermarket stuff.

I have done the around-Australia trip twice in my 2006 VZ Commodore wagon -- only minor problems on Trip 1 with steering a straight course near Sandfly Roadhouse/WA in cyclonic rain (read: mild aquaplaning)! That was scary. Bridgestone 235 tyres back then, PROXES tyres on Trip 2 (second set still going: excellent wear characteristics). I was not towing on either long trip over 4 months (tent camping).

Don't automatically dismiss the humble Commodore's suitability for long-haul touring. Despite having other chariots at my disposal, I still enjoy the spaciousness of the wagon which I can easily sleep in if conditions become unsuitable for camping (couple of times on my 'round-the-block' trips).

Last edited:

Journeyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore svz
AFAIK traction control isn't something that can really be retrofitted, not easily at least.

LSDs aren't really geared towards traction in regular/non-standard driving circumstances like 4WDs are, they're more of a performance item and don't lock all the time depending on the type of LSD (there are a few) you use and circumstances you drive in. Most daily driving 4WDs operate with an open diff any way, and only lock or engage 4WD when the driver picks that mode, which a Commodore doesn't have.

I'd put your money towards better tyres to be honest because this sounds like the weakest link in your case, because if you're easily single spinning as is, you'll just double spin with an LSD (and if you break traction at speed with an LSD you're gonna have a bad time). If you've got noticeable camber wear that's probably an indicator that not as much tyre is on the road as should be either, can be remedied to some extent with a camber kit.
Thank you for your comments - Have just fitted a set of Michelin Pilot sport tyres - I still cannot believe the difference compared to the previous Falken tyres, the difference, especially in the wet, is just phenomenal - Will stick with the Michelins from now on!