Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VE SS Low Oil Pressure

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Ok I’ll try and explain this best I can....
In the last couple of days my car has picked up a “ticking sound” from the bottom of the engine (drivers side) It doesn’t do it on startup but after 5-10 minutes of driving it starts. At idle it has a constraint tick that gets faster as I accelerate. After 5-10 minutes of driving the ticking stops and I don’t hear it again until I go for a drive the next day. I checked my oil level and it’s half way up dipstick and no lights or warning signals have appeared on the dash. Would I be right in thinking oil pump has **** itself and that the “ticking” is a oil starved hydraulic lifter. Has anyone had this happen and why if my pressure is low hasn’t my car thrown a CEL. Also am I best to go get everything done oil wise (pump,filter,fresh oil) when I book it in.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
could be pump
more likely wear to bottom end bearings, which increases clearance, which reduces oil pressure to whole engine
step up a grade in oil

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
In the last couple of days my car has picked up a “ticking sound” from the bottom of the engine (drivers side) It doesn’t do it on startup but after 5-10 minutes of driving it starts. At idle it has a constraint tick that gets faster as I accelerate. After 5-10 minutes of driving the ticking stops and I don’t hear it again until I go for a drive the next day. I checked my oil level and it’s half way up dipstick and no lights or warning signals have appeared on the dash. Would I be right in thinking oil pump has **** itself and that the “ticking” is a oil starved hydraulic lifter. Has anyone had this happen and why if my pressure is low hasn’t my car thrown a CEL. Also am I best to go get everything done oil wise (pump,filter,fresh oil) when I book it in.
I’m pretty sure low oil pressure isn’t covered by the CEL. Unless your car has an actual pressure gauge the ECU has no idea what the oil pressure is. The oil warning light that is in most cars only comes on when the system has basically zero oil pressure and normally isn’t a part of the CEL system.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I’m pretty sure low oil pressure isn’t covered by the CEL. Unless your car has an actual pressure gauge the ECU has no idea what the oil pressure is. The oil warning light that is in most cars only comes on when the system has basically zero oil pressure and normally isn’t a part of the CEL system.
the LS series engines use an oil pressure sender so the ecu monitors the pressure and if its below a threshold at any rpm it will throw a code, crazy thing is it has to be low for like 3 sec before it throws code which at a track could be the end of an engine, i have upped all my range of minimum pressure per rpm interval so i get an early warning of any issues (any tuner can) and lowered the delay

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Just went and discussed it with a mechanic and he said it’s very odd that only one lifter would tick if low oil pressure was the problem. Kind of worried as when you think about it everything that is happening could be a list of things starting in the mid hundreds and going up to having to pull apart and rebuild

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
What I did is I took the oil sensor off (V6 Leo Engine) than added a Brass T piece to accomedate the Oil sensor + the OLD method of oil gauge, yes oil at the gauge it self and started the car. Oil pressure at idle was fair to good at cold and normal operating temp, oil pressure was good at 2500 RPM so I say my Oil pressure was ok. but had a defective holden sensor that gave me fake readings

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

With low oil pressure, everything would rattle.
Check your RH exhaust manifold is tight.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
How many kms has it done and what oil has been used since new?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
There is instances in these engines where part of the plastic timing chain tensioner breaks off and ends up down in the sump partially blocking the pickup

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
There is instances in these engines where part of the plastic timing chain tensioner breaks off and ends up down in the sump partially blocking the pickup
had that in mine didnt even know as i was removing the sump to do sump gasket and herd a rattling around and found just the metal spring from the tensioner in there, i changed to a early LS2 wishbone type tensioner much better will never fall apart