Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VE SV6 Stability Control Error -

Don

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Commodore VE SV6
G'Day Gents,
Recently my mechanic found out that water has been getting mixed up with transmission oil because of a leak in the radiator. This was found out when I took the car for an inspection, when it started revving up but not changing the gears smoothly. The mechanic suspected that the water leak was the problem but however didn’t fix the revving issue, the car was still revving without changing the gears and "Stability Control Off" error started popping up more often (it used to pop up even before but not as often as it was just then). When this stability control off error comes through, the gears won’t change at all now, car just revs up.

When the diagnostic computer was connected, the mechanic told something is wrong with the "peddle switch" and was 80% certain that the issue was due to this. After replacing this, still the issue want fixed, the car seems to drive alright until the "stability control off" error comes up on the dash.

Now the computer inside is getting dismantled and being sent off to some third party for checking. Hopefully this gives me some result, been spending so much money and I am kind of over it already.

Have you gents ever experienced such issue? Any advice will be much appreciated guys.

Don

Justinaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv L98 '06
gday mate ...

Stab control off can be set off by many(and I mean many ) of the on board sensors , even a bad wheel alignment can set the little bugger off .
Have you had any upgrade tunes done to the car ? My little bro's ESC fault recently was fixed with a good wheel alignment ..
Good luck either way mate gotta love technology

Don

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Commodore VE SV6
Justinaxe, mate many thanks for the reply.

current update:
replacing the peddle sensor didn’t fix anything. After getting the computers checked mechanic confirmed computer is ok. Then replaced the throttle body and the new throttle body didn’t relearn itself with the old peddle switch. However after replacing both throttle body and the peddle switch errors stopper popping up. Damage 1700.
Still had a bit of a play between 1st and 2nd gear, 2nd and 3rd gear though. Asked me to drive a bit to see whether the jerk improves. Next day while driving errors started popping up again.
Took back to the mechanic and after checking he said all the errors are coming up because the transmission is playing up. Asked me to get the transmission rebuilt quotation was $5500. Didn’t want to do that, took it off to another guy and he replaced the ICM $470 all up and till now no errors all good.

Although I didn’t get any errors I still have the jerk in transmission, today received a quote to rebuild transmission 2800$.

The bill up to now:
Radiator replacement and power flush etc 1200$
Throttle body and peddle sensor replacement 1700$
ICM module replacement 470$
Quotation to rebuild the transmission 2800$

Guys please let me know whether I am getting ripped off or is this normal?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Throttle body is only around $350 to $400 from memory, and about half an hour to fit. Umm, think peddle with sensor is only in the ~$150 area - sounds like you're getting whacked with a fair bit of excess labour charge, or big markups on parts.

Oh, and - I say this a lot! - VE's really don't like old batteries - If yours is more than three years old, have it professionally checked for charging and reserve capacity, and if there's any doubt - replace it with the taxi or police option version for a VE. Varying battery voltages can screw up sesnor reading, and cause false codes to be logged.

Stabilitycontrol (ESP) relies on a lot of things in a VE, including throttle body, ABS and I think transmission inputs. If any of the inputs that ESP relies on can't be trusted, the computer will disable ESC, even though the ESC itself may be working fine.

Good luck. Sounds like you've had a bad run with what is a good car.

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
My 06 SV6 recently had stability control on/off issues and tried to go into Reduced Power Mode with rough idle, although these faults cleared after restarting the car and occurred intermittently. Took it in for a service and to get the faults looked at. It was something to do with the throttle position sensor, which I was told early VE Commodores can suffer from. Not an expensive fix, just a new wiring kit and a few hours of labour. No problems now.