Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VZ SV6 with an LY7

neilmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 Monaro. VY Calais.
Hi,

I have an auto 2006 VZ SV6 with an LY7 in it that is having low oil pressure issues. When you start the car and let it run it sounds fine but after about 10-15 minutes it's will drop to zero oil pressure. I've checked it with a gauge and it reads the same. When I take it out and it's been driving for a couple of minutes the oil pressure will drop to zero and you'll hear a gnashing sound coming from the engine bay, which lasts a few seconds then goes away, but will come back again.

I've changed the timing chains, the oil pickup, removed and cleaned the valve lash adjusters and changed the oil pump but the problem continues.

The relief valves in the oil filter assembly and oil pump appear to be working correctly.

It had a lot of gunk in it from not having the oil changes done by the previous owner but I have cleared it all out, including the oil galleries.

I'm running 5W30 as advised by the manual.

I've got some thicker oil to try and run through to see if that helps.

Any other things I could look at trying?

Neil

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Pretty sure you would have noticed, but there isn't a massive dent in the sump is there?

Only other thing I can think of is that there might be a blockage in the oil return port from one or both of the heads causing all the oil to collect in the heads and not return to the sump.

You tried running an oil flush additive yet?