Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 WM statesman V6

ViktorFr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman V6
Hey guys i wasnt sure where do i as kthis but i thought ill try it here.
I got a loan from Holden dealers in cranbourne and got a car from them, and that was like 3 months ago and my power steering pump broken so i booked in to have a look at it and that, and the guys said the pump is on a warranty and that but it will still cost me 220$ for the fluids and flushing and i just wonder should this be costing me when a part is on a warranty or not??? cuz 220$ is pretty expensive for the fluid????

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
That should be covered under warranty too. I would argue, any part that is covered under warranty that needs to fixed or replaced, any fluids or associated parts should also be covered. This includes all labor too!

Don't give in to them

ViktorFr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman V6
Yah thats wht i thought at the start when i called the guys about my car and explained whats wrong, they said bring the car in and we will check and if a part is on a warranty all good if not it will be 120$ but when i got there and they checked it they said part is under warranty but to flush clean pipes and fluid all will cost 220$ so i was very curious. Will in other holden dealers and ask them what should be the policy or something like that

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The warranty you have won't be a Holden warranty, considering your car is 7 years old.

It's probably a warranty offered from the dealer themselves, which usually isn't as comprehensive. Have a look at the paperwork they gave you, and see what it says.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yep, what kiddo says.

Because of the age of the car, the car is not covered by a statuatory warranty.
(I.E. the vehicle is used, and couple of years old).

The warranty being offered here is what you would class as an extended warranty, which is basically a legal agreement between yourself, and the person providing the warranty.
A lot of these warranties have so many loopholes, that some of them are not are not worth the papaer that they are written on.

In your case, consumables are not covered by the warranty (I.E. fluids, filters, batteries, tyres, etc). Also any damage, repairs or modifications not carried out by authorised people (I.E. the warranty providers) will often void the warranty.

Im not defending the warranty providers (More often than not, I despise these sort of tactics), but often an extended warranty is a very calculated gamble on the warranty provider, where the odds most of the time are stacked up in favour of the warranty provider.

My first car was a VK Calais, with a dealer extended warranty, which required the car to be serviced by the dealer (at a substantial cost) every 5,000Kms.
The engine failed (Timing gear snapped, and bent valves, pushrods, and generally stuffed the engine).
The engine was covered by warranty, but the labour wasnt. (So it ended up costing me $800 to swap the engine under "warranty")
On top of that, the car had been sitting around for two weeks, so the battery was flat. They tried to sting me for another $200 for a battery, which I refused and bought one from Marshal (came out and fitted) for a hell of a lot less....
The engine was reconditioned (as was expected as Holden had stopped making the 202 Black motors around WW2 I think).

My next car I was offered the same extended warranty by a Ford Dealership, but I tore that up within the first two weeks as the "Complimentary" first service they stuck in the wrong spark plugs, and the thing ran like a bucket of crap within the first week.

ViktorFr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman V6
Ether way i dont think it should cost 220 just for fluids when 1lt of fluids cost around 20$ :/