Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 Sv6 Ve warning sign problem

Steven2340

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Commodore sv6
Need advice on my 2007 Sv6 6 speed manual, engine light keeps coming on and might go of the next day and then car will go into safety mode so I turn it off and as I try to start it again feels like engine is shaking so I’ve disconnected the battery and started back up goes fine for a day or 2 and same thing will happen. Not sure if it’s mechanical or a technicians job? Need some advice before I put it into either one. - I have got it scanned and a few different codes come up.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In the old days, we’d always do basic checks; plugs, leads, distributer (points and cap), spark timing, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, alternator, valve timing, compression, intake (piping and filter) and exhaust (leaks or restrictions). All this would confirm engine had fuel, air and spark so it could run. Such things would be reasonably accessible and so easy to check because of a more service minded design that suited the home mechanic.

These days, petrol engines still work the same way (suck, squish, bang fart) but electronics have more involvement. And due to packaging it’s more time consuming doing these basic checks which also require some electronic test tools just to add some confusion. Today’s designs aren’t suited to home mechanics in the same simpler way of old.

Anyway, enough of the waffle.

Luckily, with modern engines, DTC’s (fault codes) give us a good insight into what may be going wrong in today’s engines. As such it would probably have been a good idea to let us know what DTC’s you actually had logged within the ECU. Just keep in mind that sometimes the system DTC may lead you astray but forum members should be able to help get focused on where the issue may be.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
In the old days, we’d always do basic checks; plugs, leads, distributer (points and cap), spark timing, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, alternator, valve timing, compression, intake (piping and filter) and exhaust (leaks or restrictions). All this would confirm engine had fuel, air and spark so it could run. Such things would be reasonably accessible and so easy to check because of a more service minded design that suited the home mechanic.

These days, petrol engines still work the same way (suck, squish, bang fart) but electronics have more involvement. And due to packaging it’s more time consuming doing these basic checks which also require some electronic test tools just to add some confusion. Today’s designs aren’t suited to home mechanics in the same simpler way of old.

Anyway, enough of the waffle.

Luckily, with modern engines, DTC’s (fault codes) give us a good insight into what may be going wrong in today’s engines. As such it would probably have been a good idea to let us know what DTC’s you actually had logged within the ECU. Just keep in mind that sometimes the system DTC may lead you astray but forum members should be able to help get focused on where the issue may be.

Well said !

I was told a slightly different way an engine operates in the 70's.
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow"

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
so I turn it off and as I try to start it again feels like engine is shaking

Again you need a tool that can record codes. I use is my old notebook with a ELM 327 Cable and a copy (Paid for it) ELM Street on this site. Now you say the Engine feel like it shakes? Could be running on 4 to 5 cylinders, possible coil packs gone. I have know one person that has a VE V6 and his car done the same 50% of the time when the car stops at a set of traffic light the car was shaking (it was running on 5 cylinders but no engine codes were spat out) and also doing 100k per hours it will shudder every 10 minutes or so mainly going uphill on a 100 kph freeway. Change all the coil packs with new spark plugs, issue is gone.
The cable
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Int...060063?hash=item59294de4df:g:mlEAAOSwcOtc04cW

The program
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...treet-obd2-engine-diagnostic-software.243045/

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have got it scanned and a few different codes come up.

What were the codes?
They are kind of important to answering the question OP.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Steven2340 how’s it going with the car, hope we haven’t scared you away from the forum o_O