Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 Ve calais Alternator

jamierawr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Ve 2007 & Calais VE 2007
well this is bull,
not last december but the december before is my VT the alternator decided to clonk out and get fried, around $290 to fix

now just today in my holden calais ve 07 i hop in the car turn it on with air con on, sit in it for about 3 min on my phone then i hear beeping and look at the dashboard to see on the center screen a battery picture with a bolt icon saying alternator underneath, and it wont go away, and ontop of that i had my official holden 105 000 k service 2 weeks ago

so what are your guess's on what the problem is?

and also isnt this something holden should of picked up on too? and if so can i take it to them and can get them to fix it for free since they missed it?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
If the problem wasn't there 2 weeks ago when you had the service, how were they supposed to have fixed something that hadn't happened yet? Just playing devil's advocate.

jamierawr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Ve 2007 & Calais VE 2007
but shouldnt they be able to tell if the alternator is worn down or about at its end?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Not really no. Sometimes parts just fail without warning.

jace75

Reaction score
Members Ride
JULY 08 VE SSV 60th Anniv.
cmon man 3 year 100,000 km warranty.....

that says no its not covered to me.

i dont think that holden has a crystal ball asking what problems are going to happen over the next two weeks.

might be time to trade it in and get another under warranty if you need it done for free

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Sure your accessory belt is still there?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I'm not a huge fan of Holden servicing myself but as said some parts such as alternators just die with out warning you can hardly blame somebody that worked on your car two weeks ago for not pick that up as up, until yesterday it probably worked fine. But I know they are controlled by the computer so it could be somthing like a ecu reprogram?

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
First are you sure that its not working? Hold down the scroll button on the left side of the steering wheel while turning on the car this will bring you to engineering mode. Select over voltage and see what your voltage reading is at, should be around 14.2v to 14.7v if for some reason its showing below and above 12.5v go for a drive and see if it changes and if it dosent - you got problems get it fixed asap or you could screw your battery as well as there are new sets of issues come if you drain up your battery.

VE specifically models with climate control in early models are renowned for brining up Alternator issue when air con is running when no real reason is apparent, especially on hot days above 35 degrees. If it was a missreading by the computer and is okay now the issue may still display on dash until cleared or several days pass.