Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 VE V6 getting hot

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
Hi all,

I've got lots of good answers from this forum but I've never asked anything until now.
My '07 3.6 VE is getting hot, only at idle in traffic etc on the highway it's fine. I've done a few simple tests from what I've read on here. Both fans kick in at 108*c, fans ramp up when it reaches 111*c and the drivers side one shuts off. Both fans work when the A/C is on but not if the temps is over 111*c.
I have a slow coolant leak from the thermostat housing but not enough to warrant the huge repair bill that comes with it. But even with the coolant topped up it's still getting hot on idle.

What do I check next?

Thanks all!

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
there should be a relay that you hear click and the fan turn on at idle when the air con is on.

Check that that is happening. If not, it could be as simple as a blown relay.

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
there should be a relay that you hear click and the fan turn on at idle when the air con is on.

Thanks mate, I'll look into this tomorrow.

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
Try replacing the radiator cap - only use a genuine GM one though
Thanks mate, it had a new one on from supercheap about 2 months ago, tridon I think, would that make a difference? Or should I swap it out for GM?

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Thanks mate, it had a new one on from supercheap about 2 months ago, tridon I think, would that make a difference? Or should I swap it out for GM?
Yes,,,ditch the supercrap one,,,,,get one from Holden,about $17.
While you're at it,check your water pump too.

Also,if the pressurised cooling system can not maintained, such as yours,when there are leaks,can result in overheated engine..

My advice is,you should fix that leak,it will get worse overtime anyway.(Do NOT use stopleak)

Good Luck...

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
Thanks, I'll grab a new cap tomorrow. Any way of checking the water pump efficiency without taking it out? I did think about the pump, just because it seems to get hot under idle and is ok with revs on, maybe some fins have detached which I've had before on another car. Thanks

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV

More tests this morning.. when cold and AC is turned on the relay clicks and both fans run. I turn the AC off, let it heat up, relay clicks at 108 and both fans turn. Relay clicks again at 111 and the passenger side ramps up to full, at the same time the drivers side fan stops dead?

I'll get a new rad cap at Holden today, and I'll shop for a water pump with the intention of getting the thermostat done when funds will allow. But even after these are done the fans still need looking at, unless it's normal? I wouldn't have thought so and both fans should run on full speed?

Thanks all!

Bigpoppadolph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 6.0 SSV
After more tests..
The relays are the same as the wipers so after swapping them all round the relays all seem good.
I also noticed that the drivers side fan comes back on when you turn the engine off?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Fans sound normal, it's just getting hot because the tridon cap isn't holding pressure by the sound of it.
I've tried Tridon and others and none of them work. Only the Holden caps work.
Radiator hoses should be very firm when engine is hot. You can also bet thermostat will leak more when you have more pressure in the system