Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 VE commodore wagon Calais so many engine light issues

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
Ok desperately hoping someone can shed some light on what might be wrong with my car .
lots of errors re occurring while driving esp off , battery saver mode , reduced power mode and lots more , driver window stopped working , radio would stay on even after exiting and locking the car , indicators and brake lights stopped working then it completely died wouldn’t start , auto sparky had a look followed the problem to the bcm , also replaced the battery as it was under warranty , took it to the local Holden dealership where I live and they checked also tried re programming but needed replacing so new bcm $1700 , drive away all sweet , two days later driver window stops working again (intermittently) and radio stays on (intermittently) , back to Holden , needs a new window switch going to cost $500 but can’t fault radio they couldn’t get it to stay on , ok no worries planning on taking it back this week to get window switch done , then tonight door light stays on and door light on dash when all doors and boot closed and handbrake light stays on whenpark brake off , warning lights beeping and flashing , crawl it home no indicators brakes or anything working and the boot touch button doesn’t work , now it’s unsafe to drive so over it problems have been ongoing, anyone had anything similar desperate for some help . I’m a mum driving around with this bloody car that more times than not has some issue .

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sorry to hear that. My VE has been faultless.
Have you had it since new? Or how long?
How many kms when you bought it and how many kms up on it now?
Has it been absolutely regularly serviced per the books or even more often, and from whom?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
First I would get it scanned [independently] and see whats its doing, well in this case what its not doing.
With all of that happening,
That sounds like a faulty alternator, with all the system shutting down due to low voltage
I would assume its the original one ?
First check the voltage at the Battery, [should be approx 12.3V]
and check the charge voltage, [should be approx 14.3]

As for replacement items, some of them you can do yourself, [or a friend/partner]
and pick them up at a wreckers at a reasonable price.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Where in WA are you? Perth, Bunbury, Gero, Kal etc.? Then maybe a member knows a good garage.

Get a report on diagnostic codes produced. Let us know what they are.

Holden have been throwing some guess work at it, rather than following their fault finding flow charts.

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
such a shame when it works I love it but the last 6 months has been a nightmare . I’ve had it for about three years now two previous owners , they told me no issues but the guy before me used to service it himself so that could be a problem I guess , he was aircraft technician or aircraft mechanic or something so not sure that is the same qualifications .
now it’s just got the battery saver mode on and the boot won’t open . This battery is a week old , I’m so fed up with it . It’s got about 177000 on it at the moment and I can’t recall what it had when I got it maybe around 150000 .

Sorry to hear that. My VE has been faultless.
Have you had it since new? Or how long?
How many kms when you bought it and how many kms up on it now?
Has it been absolutely regularly serviced per the books or even more often, and from whom?

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
I’m in gero , I’ve had three different mechanics including a friend and my brother in law all try look at it even with there own scanning tools and no one has been able to help me so I’ve gone to you get who is the Holden crew in gero .

Where in WA are you? Perth, Bunbury, Gero, Kal etc.? Then maybe a member knows a good garage.

Get a report on diagnostic codes produced. Let us know what they are.

Holden have been throwing some guess work at it, rather than following their fault finding flow charts.

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
No one wants to touch it I’ve had my brother in law scan in independently and try looking for the issue but nothing .
I’ll try get the voltage checked I think it actually tells me that in the settings .
nonone has suggested alternator problem yet .

First I would get it scanned [independently] and see whats its doing, well in this case what its not doing.
With all of that happening,
That sounds like a faulty alternator, with all the system shutting down due to low voltage
I would assume its the original one ?
First check the voltage at the Battery, [should be approx 12.3V]
and check the charge voltage, [should be approx 14.3]

As for replacement items, some of them you can do yourself, [or a friend/partner]
and pick them up at a wreckers at a reasonable price.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As much as I wish I knew, I don’t know who is good Int Geraldton. You need an auto electrician, rather than a mechanic and they need to be proficient at diagnostic processes.

I think something is a miss in the CANBus system somewhere.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Agree with Fu it’s an electric problem.
At 177,000 it should have plenty of life left in it, but service it often and use good 5.30 oil to keep those timing chains safe.