Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed NT

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Took the Paj out to Blacksmith's Beach on Saturday with my brother in law in his new Hilux. Was a great day, the Paj went well on the sand. Got bogged on the way in before i even got onto the beach, was busy checking everything was in the right setting and didnt have enough speed to get through the soft sand. Only had to dig a little bit behind the tyres and it popped out easy as. Took on one smallish dune and it got up it fairly easily, my brother in law got bogged at the bottom and overheated the auto box so he didnt attempt it. He had to stop a few times to let it cool, its only got 1400 kms on it so he didnt want to push it too hard. Keen to get up to Stockton now. Here's a few pics:

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Took the Paj out to Blacksmith's Beach on Saturday with my brother in law in his new Hilux. Was a great day, the Paj went well on the sand. Got bogged on the way in before i even got onto the beach, was busy checking everything was in the right setting and didnt have enough speed to get through the soft sand.

<snip>

Mate, you should be dropping your tyres for beach work, especially if your getting stuck. Since your running highway or all terrains, your car should be smashing the sand. Also, you will find it will be much easier on your brother in laws new Hilux if he does the same. A portable compressor will make it easy to air up if the nearest servo is too far away.

Also, make sure you wash, or at least rinse your car after beach work, would hate to see it rust away.

Anyway, the car is looking good mate, and great to see your enjoying it :)

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate. we both had the tyres down to 17-18 psi, just doesnt really look like it in the pics. both cars went good on the sand, just gotta get a bit more experience driving on sand to get the most out of the cars. i used to have a 2010 Colorado, that was tops on the dunes at stockton. had the tyres down to 16 then, will drop them down a bit more next time we go.

Both cars got a hose down when we got home, great excuse to hang out the front with several beers :beer chug:

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Cheers mate. we both had the tyres down to 17-18 psi, just doesnt really look like it in the pics. both cars went good on the sand, just gotta get a bit more experience driving on sand to get the most out of the cars. i used to have a 2010 Colorado, that was tops on the dunes at stockton. had the tyres down to 16 then, will drop them down a bit more next time we go.

Both cars got a hose down when we got home, great excuse to hang out the front with several beers :beer chug:

Looking at those pics, I would say that you could have gone as low as 12 if you got stuck, just don't go too fast at really low pressures as its way too easy to pop it off the bead. So long as they were down at 18, they should have been helping a fair bit.
I've found when driving autos on dunes and beach etc. it can help to leave it in low range to give you some engine braking, so long as you're not going too fast.
I know what you mean about experience though, I went out on Saturday night following some friends down a trail and ended up learning a lot about gearing in my car when 4x4ing in low range.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Ahh yes, the first off road trip usually means you start buying bits and bobs. Quick deflator, straps, shackles, compressor... bullbar, winch, snorkel, lift... It's a never ending hobby!

How are you finding the economy around town? Mine usually gets about 10L/100Km with AT tyres so I imagine you're probably doing a little better.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking at those pics, I would say that you could have gone as low as 12 if you got stuck, just don't go too fast at really low pressures as its way too easy to pop it off the bead. So long as they were down at 18, they should have been helping a fair bit.
I've found when driving autos on dunes and beach etc. it can help to leave it in low range to give you some engine braking, so long as you're not going too fast.
I know what you mean about experience though, I went out on Saturday night following some friends down a trail and ended up learning a lot about gearing in my car when 4x4ing in low range.

Next time I'll drop down to 16 and see how it goes. I probably need to work on my technique as well. I had mine in 4H with the centre and rear diffs locked and it went pretty good, shifting manually and mainly using second and third, but back into first in some tight places.

Ahh yes, the first off road trip usually means you start buying bits and bobs. Quick deflator, straps, shackles, compressor... bullbar, winch, snorkel, lift... It's a never ending hobby!

How are you finding the economy around town? Mine usually gets about 10L/100Km with AT tyres so I imagine you're probably doing a little better.

Yep I'm already puting together a shopping list.... so far its a decent recovery kit with all the usual straps and stuff, deflator, and an attachment for the tow bar with the ring for a snatch strap. still not keen on a lift, snorkel, bar etc. as i like the look of it stock. Will definitely get a quality set of AT's though when the current HT's wear down.

Economy isnt too bad. Getting around 11 locally with the missus driving, but she is still getting used to driving a diesel. She kinda drives it like a petrol car, but she's learning slowly. When i use it it drops down around 10 locally and down to 9 on the freeway. Keen for a longer trip so i can test the economy, not to mention a decent off road adventure lol