Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 Vauxhall VXR8 Bathurst Edition

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
And no... the Walkinshaw is not the same thing... because the Bathurst is a factory car and the "Walkinshaw Performance Clubbie" is a clubsport that you've taken to Walkinshaw and had modified with their performance pack.

And that is a substantial difference...

You can get them straight from a HSV dealership:

First drive: Walkinshaw Performance HSV Clubsport | carsguide.com.au

As if a Clubsport ain't enough, HSV have gone and put a blower on the 6.2-litre, high performance V8 engine.

The kit is available at certain HSV dealerships.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
My bad... thats twice now I've been proved wrong in this thread... lol...

I was always under the impression that the walkinshaw stuff was not an option available from the HSV dealers.

On the plus side... thats 2 things I've learnt... :p

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
You can get it here in Australia. It's a HSV GTS 40th Anniversary. It only looks the same from the outside with the stripes

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
You can get the paint pack, but not the engine, brakes and suspension upgrades.

I Have driven a GTS and i think you would be pelasantly suprised with it's handling.
While not the class leader, its inherent adhesion and power down ability make it a genuinely entertaining and rapid drive. It' steering and brake feel is not as good as the BMW i've driven, and it's not as compliant as a Mercedes E63, but then the mercedes almost wallows around some of our tighter roads (try one on Mount Glorious near Brisbane - I dare you).

I don't think the VE is a bad handler. It's firm, yet safe enough for our 'worlds worst' roads. I wish it had the BF Falcon's steering and ZF auto gearbox, the BMW's brakes aand manual gearbox, and some less weight. And thinner A pillars.

KARMA 6L

mmmmmm 6.0L
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS Manual
^^^ not sure how driving a GTS has much to do with that comment of mine...

But no... I haven't driven a GTS... but i have heard reviews my people who test drive cars for a living that point out... that handling is not a strong point of ANY holden really... VE's included...

That's how I can comment... :p

Have you even driven a VE compared to previous model Commy's or just read reviews? I jumped back in my VY today after driving my new VE SS for a month and the handling is a joke in the VY compared to the VE

shozzy

"Licked by janitor"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive 3.6
who cares about handling, this thing would take it up to the germans anyway.
but it seems silly to release a bathurst edition of a car that wont get close to bathurst..

its the same as holden having the astra vxr nurburgring, just giving another country a taste of what we can do IMO

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Have you even driven a VE compared to previous model Commy's or just read reviews? I jumped back in my VY today after driving my new VE SS for a month and the handling is a joke in the VY compared to the VE

Ok... let's just get this straight...

All those people asking stupid "Have you even driven" questions...

Are you suggesting that in order to make any comment, I have to have PERSONALLY driven the two vehicles I am commenting about and comparing?

If that is what your trying to say... you're clearly abit silly...

Why can I not make a comment based on the opinions of experts in this area?

Yes... sure... I'm sure going form a VY holden into a VE holden... the handling has improved immensely, it certainly can't have gone backward...

But my point was... that to compare a VE commodore to a german make performance car and claim it will be better as was done in post #3... is silly...

So everyone take a REALLY big chill pill... beleive it or not... I am entitled to an opinion even if it is only based on what car experts say.

And anyway... on that subject... if no one can comment on a car that they haven't driven... then how come so many people are commenting on the bathurst? Show of hands who has driven it?

Cheers

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Jester...

I don't have any issues with you expressing a view based on expert opinions at all - I have done so many times over the years. If I didn't value the impressions of those experts, why bother reading their articles in the first place?

I would like to comment on those who say that jumping from a VY or similar, into a VE, will reveal a tremendous difference.

Yes, there is a marked difference between earlier models and the VE - if there wasn't, the Holden engineers would be pretty upset, wouldn't they? But I don't believe that the gulf between the handling and road behaviour of the VY and the VE is as great as some would have you believe.

I drove an unmarked police VE SV6 on numerous occasions prior to my retirement. I was surprised at how sensitive the steering seemed to be compared to my VY. The handling was good, but not as reassuring as my VY - the car seemed to be too direct and respond too quickly to steering input. Perhaps, with familiarity, the car might have become more comfortable for me to drive and I would have been inclined to drive it a bit harder, but I preferred the feel of the VY. Interior wise, I still believe the VY is superior - the VE badly needs an upgrade to better quality materials and textures.

As for brakes, yeah, the VE is better.