Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE International sports wagon I know nothing...help me please

Kirstie Chambers

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Commodore VE International station wagon
Hi I'm new here, but I've been trying to google rattling engine, car keeps running after switching it off and keys out of ignition (sounds like it's still running but could be the fan still going?). It's become a bit sluggish taking off at the traffic lights, got no grunt. No visible leaks where I park it, and last night the heat gauge kept going up and down from half way to 3/4's. I found that the car sounding like it's running could be an ignition switch element? The water pump might be replaced and the timing chain hasn't been done and it's done 223,000Km. Thing is I wanted to fix it up in order to keep it, at least for another 6-12 months so I would appreciate any advice. I'm not sure if I should spend the $2,500 and $1500 (quotes received average) to replace the timing chain and water pump, or what my options are. I'm too afraid to drive it, and have the cash to buy a new car and trade this one in, but I'm not sure it will make it to the dealership! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Can I do one change without the other, water pump without doing the timing chain? Should I fork out for a new engine and keep the car for another few years? I'm stuck. Kirstie

Kirstie Chambers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi I'm new here, but I've been trying to google rattling engine, car keeps running after switching it off and keys out of ignition (sounds like it's still running but could be the fan still going?). It's become a bit sluggish taking off at the traffic lights, got no grunt. No visible leaks where I park it, and last night the heat gauge kept going up and down from half way to 3/4's. I found that the car sounding like it's running could be an ignition switch element? The water pump might be replaced and the timing chain hasn't been done and it's done 223,000Km. Thing is I wanted to fix it up in order to keep it, at least for another 6-12 months so I would appreciate any advice. I'm not sure if I should spend the $2,500 and $1500 (quotes received average) to replace the timing chain and water pump, or what my options are. I'm too afraid to drive it, and have the cash to buy a new car and trade this one in, but I'm not sure it will make it to the dealership! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Can I do one change without the other, water pump without doing the timing chain? Should I fork out for a new engine and keep the car for another few years? I'm stuck. Kirstie
sorry
"water pump might NEED to be replaced"

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
when the car sounds like it is still running,
have a look at the engine and see if it is
also check if your instruments turn off at this time. tacho etc. may indicate if engine is still running
a fuel injected car should not "diesel" no matter how hot it gets
how is the service history on this car,
it will be hard to diagnose on a forum
i am guessing it is a v6 in which case could well need timing chains if its service history has been poor

Kirstie Chambers

Reaction score
Members Ride
when the car sounds like it is still running,
have a look at the engine and see if it is
also check if your instruments turn off at this time. tacho etc. may indicate if engine is still running
a fuel injected car should not "diesel" no matter how hot it gets
how is the service history on this car,
it will be hard to diagnose on a forum
i am guessing it is a v6 in which case could well need timing chains if its service history has been poor
Good service history but you're right V6 and the timing chains haven't been done. Not sure if it's fuel injected. None of the lights remain on when keys removed & car still sounds like its running or loud fan going maybe?
Anyone else got advice regarding this and the other issues? Advice as to whether to trade it in as is or do the work on it?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
temp gauge climbing to hot and the fans stay on after you turn of the key check coolant level in the motor when cold by unscrewing the cap these engine have a few things that can make them overheat
than you got a funny noise sounding like a timing chain rattle that many ks and problems
hardest part is you don t know how much its going to cost to repair i ll be putting that money toward a getting a new car

Kirstie Chambers

Reaction score
Members Ride
temp gauge climbing to hot and the fans stay on after you turn of the key check coolant level in the motor when cold by unscrewing the cap these engine have a few things that can make them overheat
than you got a funny noise sounding like a timing chain rattle that many ks and problems
hardest part is you don t know how much its going to cost to repair i ll be putting that money toward a getting a new car
Thank you. I was hoping to trade this one in. Is there a risk on driving it to the dealership? (If it's within say 50Km) Or would you not recommend it? I will check the coolant in the motor tomorrow, thanks.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
The less ks the better you dont want to get caught

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If you've been told the chains need replacing then just doing a water pump won't help anything. Nobody will give you much for a vehicle in that condition, either fix it yourself or expect an offer less than $500 as trade in.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Get the work done and keep it for a year to get more use from it. keep saving for another car and still have this one to trade in.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
It'll be fixed in couple of days, fork out the money and get it fixed. You'll be glad you did.