Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

200Wrms into 60-80Wrms speakers..

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, I guess it is just personal preference. I can appreciate why people like them but I just don't think it'd suit my day to day listening.
That's always what people who haven't had a sub say... I've convinced several 40 year+ guys to get subs after hearing how much better their rock or oldie music sounds with some actual low frequency sound. All music has low frequency sound, not just doof doof music. INXS and AC/DC sound like different music when you can actually hear the bass drum and some extra oomph behind the other drums.

Anyway, Boss is a **** brand who falsify their power ratings. That amp has two 25A fuses which means...

Power = Voltage x current
Power = 14v x 50A
Power = 700W

Now amplifiers are not 100% efficient. They state that their amplifier is class A/B which are around 60% efficient at best.

700W x 60% = 420W

So that amp MIGHT be able to make 105Wrms per channel but even that is unlikely as they're a poor quality product. Do a search on Boss amplifiers and I'm sure you'll find many negative results.

[edit]
Wow... A bunch of replies happened while I was posting!

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
its Boss.

it has 50amps worth of fuses, the ReSponse 4x100watt amp as a comparison, has 90amps worth of fuses.

you only get out what you put in!

That's always what people who haven't had a sub say... I've convinced several 40 year+ guys to get subs after hearing how much better their rock or oldie music sounds with some actual low frequency sound. All music has low frequency sound, not just doof doof music. INXS and AC/DC sound like different music when you can actually hear the bass drum and some extra oomph behind the other drums.

Anyway, Boss is a **** brand who falsify their power ratings. That amp has two 25A fuses which means...

Power = Voltage x current
Power = 14v x 50A
Power = 700W

Now amplifiers are not 100% efficient. They state that their amplifier is class A/B which are around 60% efficient at best.

700W x 60% = 420W

So that amp MIGHT be able to make 105Wrms per channel but even that is unlikely as they're a poor quality product. Do a search on Boss amplifiers and I'm sure you'll find many negative results.

[edit]
Wow... A bunch of replies happened while I was posting!

Hmm. Okay thanks guys. Just when I thought I'd caught a break and found something my wallet wouldn't be too angry at me for! And just for the record I'm 18 and enjoy a wide variety of music hahah. But I still think I don't need/want a sub, atleast for now.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Well for what you are doing mate that amp will be fine, If you want to go bigger but not break the bank, go second hand.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Hmm. Okay thanks guys. Just when I thought I'd caught a break and found something my wallet wouldn't be too angry at me for! And just for the record I'm 18 and enjoy a wide variety of music hahah. But I still think I don't need/want a sub, atleast for now.
Yeah, I started with 6.5" splits and 7x10's when I was 18... It wasn't until I was 20 when I realised I was missing quite an important section of my music due to not having one. I started out getting a little 10" because I didn't want overpowering bass... Within a week I'd sold that and bought a 15" instead. Turn sub up for doof, turn sub down for real music :)

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Well for what you are doing mate that amp will be fine, If you want to go bigger but not break the bank, go second hand.

Cheers mate. I think this should be alright, afterall I'm not after some big show stopping stereo. I just want something nice to listen to.

Yeah, I started with 6.5" splits and 7x10's when I was 18... It wasn't until I was 20 when I realised I was missing quite an important section of my music due to not having one. I started out getting a little 10" because I didn't want overpowering bass... Within a week I'd sold that and bought a 15" instead. Turn sub up for doof, turn sub down for real music :)

Sounds good mate!

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Yeh my first sub was a 12" soundstream with a JVC 350w amp, the day after installing it I went to cash converters and got a 750w pioneer amp. THEN the next day after that I took the sub back because I had welded the coil to the magnet!!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Cheers mate. I think this should be alright, afterall I'm not after some big show stopping stereo. I just want something nice to listen to.!
You're better off buying a decent amp that makes less power. Jaycar Response range of amps are the lowest I'd recommend to anyone. They do a 4 x 50Wrms for $149 and a 4 x 100Wrms for $229. Very reasonable prices for something that should last you much longer than Boss Audio.

The guy that is supporting your decision still talks in maximum power ratings and blows his subs, he's probably not the best guy to take advice from :thumbsup:

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
The guy that is supporting your decision still talks in maximum power ratings and blows his subs, he's probably not the best guy to take advice from :thumbsup:

Im sorry but didnt he say he would be running speakers that are 60 -80 Wrms???

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Jaycar Response amps are very good for what you pay. I too would run one over a Boss any day of the week. Much better internal design to.

michael9s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss series ||
Boss is a cheap brand mate
I would go with alpine jbl soundstream or pioneer will get better sound and will last longer! And if you go subs I would recommend kicker.