Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 Engine stalling/stumbles on cold start

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Tammy

I had given thought to the problem being the fuel pump or filter and that last set of pics shows the location of your pump. I'm guessing here but the filter will be incorporated in the pump so replacing the pump would also mean replacing the filter at the same time. I can't say for sure from the pics but it looks as though the pump is just held in place by a retaining ring that would need to be rotated anti-clockwise about a quarter turn to release the pump. The fuel line will use a special retaining clip which would have a specific procedure to release. That white piece with the green stripes drawn on it might be the clip release, I'm not sure.

Before doing anything expensive, check to see if you can get a price for a used pump at a local wrecker. A new pump will probably be expensive. From those pics, it looks like replacement is relatively simple. Best done with a partially empty tank, too. Good luck.

Last edited:

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
tammytempleton.wordpress.com
Members Ride
TK Barina
Tammy

I had given thought to the problem being the fuel pump or filter and that last set of pics shows the location of your pump. I'm guessing here but the filter will be incorporated in the pump so replacing the pump would also mean replacing the filter at the same time. I can't say for sure from the pics but it looks as though the pump is just held in place by a retaining ring that would need to be rotated anti-clockwise about a quarter turn to release the pump. The fuel line will use a special retaining clip which would have a specific procedure to release. That white piece with the green stripes drawn on it might be the clip release, I'm not sure.

Before doing anything expensive, check to see if you can get a price for a used pump at a local wrecker. A new pump will probably be expensive. From those pics, it looks like replacement is relatively simple. Best done with a partially empty tank, too. Good luck.

Thanks Calaber: OK now I'm confused!!!!!!!
I left my car to sit for a full 48 hours over the week-end (4.30pm Friday to 4.30pm Sunday)
As you can see from the previous photo's I found the fuel pump, removed the cover, wiggled the cables and tapped the top then put the cover back.
Monday morning when I started the car it started first go (with one slight stumble but no stalling)
This morning (Tuesday) I started the car first go, no stumble, no stalling, nothing of concern!?

What does that mean?
Is it the calm before the storm? Is it suddenly just going to sh!t itself? or did wiggling the wire fix the problem, or leaving it to sit for 48hours?

Sh!t now I'm worried because it's not stalling.

Any suggestions?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It could mean something as simple as you fixing the problem by wiggling the wiring connection. Sometimes, that's all it takes as a connection loosens just a slight amount but it's enough to create a poor connection. If you can be bothered going through the exercise, try disconnecting the wiring connection completely, then reconnecting it. If the connection was poor, that might fix it properly.

If you don't feel like going through all that, drive it till the problem recurs, then do the disconnect/reconnect.

Yes, cars can be very confusing.......and very frustrating.

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
It stalled this morning so I'll try your exercise Calaber.
I also rang around for some prices for a fuel pump and spoke to a wreckers mechanic.
He doesn't seem to think its the fuel pump. He was under the impression that if it was then it would be misbehaving throughout the day and was skeptical of it loosing pressure overnight.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Pumps dont lose pressure overnight. They develop pressure as soon as they are activated and depressurise when the ignition is switched off. I still think its possible that a dirty or loose wiring connector at the pump might be the answer.

If you end up disconnecting the wiring, spray inside the connector socket with WD40 and shake it out before reconnecting. It will help to clean the connectors to give a better connection.

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
Well Bella Barina isn't stalling in the mornings anymore.
She seems to run a bit rough at idle and just doesn't seem to have that "omph" anymore. Seems sluggish on take off and when changing down she has almost stalled on lower revs.

Also when I push the clutch in it feels like the rpms drop way too much.

I've been saving like crazy and will get her booked in for a major service and get the timing belt replaced.
I've also put in the injector cleaner but I can't see how that would help as I've always used the premium (98% Octane) petrol since I got her brand new - that was probably a waste of $10 LOL

Becca83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden barina 2012
Hi Tammy, I have a 2012 barina and have had cold start issues on and off for the last 2 years. The idle fluctuates madly and then stalls, sometimes even backfires. I've been lucky enough that warranty has covered all repairs thus far, but that runs out in another 6 months. Holden have managed to fluke fix the issue once, but the issue has started again in the last couple of months.
Have you managed to get to the bottom of your issue?
I'm starting to wonder whether it's a fuel issue. Holden advised me to use premium fuel after having to clean out the throttle body (after using e10) so I religiously use only premium fuel for the last 2 years (coincidence?). We went away for xmas and had to use unleaded 91 while we were away and as soon as I did, the issue stopped. I filled up twice more while away, and not once did it stall or the idle fluctuate on start up. Seems very odd.

MillsyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 TM Barina
HI, I have the same problem with my 2012 TM Barina on a cold start. I was also told to use 98 by the dealer, I may just try the 91 to see if the problem disappears. Since your last post has the start up been ok.

Becca83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden barina 2012
HI, I have the same problem with my 2012 TM Barina on a cold start. I was also told to use 98 by the dealer, I may just try the 91 to see if the problem disappears. Since your last post has the start up been ok.

It spent another week in at Holden after Christmas, they found faulty spark plugs (again! - that makes 2 times now) and gas getting past the spark plugs. There were a few other issues as well, a fair few computer errors. They updated the computer and addressed the other issues I mentioned and so far so good, but it usually takes a good 6 months for the issue to happen. Also they seem to think that the 98 might be too rich, so hedging our bets ATM and running 95. Will see how that goes

MillsyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 TM Barina
Thanks Becca83, I will try the fuel, I have also been using 98 and have just filled up ( bummer). Could you please tell the dealership (I'm in Brisbane) you take your car to for a service. Then I can aim to take my Barina there too. Its due for a service in a couple of weeks.