Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 Engine stalling/stumbles on cold start

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
tammytempleton.wordpress.com
Members Ride
TK Barina
MY10 TK 1.5l Barina manual
The problem started a couple of weeks ago...
First start in the morning (after sitting overnight) the engine stalls. The second start may stall or if it does start the engine will stumble for about 5 -10 seconds.
After the initial cold start, with the stalling and stumbling, the car starts perfect throughout the day and runs beautiful.

I have replaced the battery.
Replaced the spark plugs.
Changed the oil and oil filter.
Cleaned the fuel filter.

While doing a google search I found a tutorial for doing an "Idle learn procedure" (for an AVEO, which I think is a Chevrolet Barina).
Will the following procedure be the same for TK Barina? And would that fix my stalling problem?

FOR MANUAL
*First disconnect the negative battery cable, push brake pedal a few times and reconnect the battery cable. Now the EMC (engine control module) will try to learn idle.

1. Turn ignition ON for 5 seconds.
2. Turn ignition OFF for 5 seconds.
3. Start engine in neutral.
4. Allow engine to run until coolant is 85c.
5. Turn A/C ON for 10 seconds.
6. Turn A/C OFF for 10 seconds.
7. Turn A/C ON for 10 seconds.
8. Turn A/C OFF for 10 seconds.
9. Turn ignition off. The idle learn procedure is complete.

Please help.
Thanks.
Tammy.

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
Yesterday I disconnected the battery, pumped the brake pedal a few times - reconnected the battery and did the idle learn procedure without success. Still stalling.

When I was looking through my owners handbook I noticed that there are under bonnet fuses and relays. There are two for ignition. Would it be worthwhile to change them?

My car was built April 2010 so its coming up to 6 years old.

Could it be the starter motor or alternator or the fuel pump?

I know these are novice questions but my money situation is terrible and being female I fear going to Holdens and them just saying I need this and that and it'll cost me an arm and a leg (although I could probably afford an arm or a leg as opposed to real cash atm) so if I have some idea what the problem may be I can at least seem like I'm not completely mechanically stupid.

Here is a vid that I did this morning of the cold start. I did not use the accelerator.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Tammy

I think the MY 10 Barina was a rehashed Daewoo Kalos, not a Chev Aveo so that procedure you outlined may not be relevant.

Your idling and starting problems are not battery, alternator or starter motor related. If the car is turning over and starting, those items should be ok. Nor at this stage would I suggest you change any relays. Modern computerised fuel injection engines have complex settings for various operating conditions including starting and idling. It could be that a sensor that provides information to the computer has died, and the engine performance is affected as you have experienced.

There is no need to take the car to a Holden dealer. Any competent mechanic should be able to sort out your car by plugging in a diagnostic machine which receives data from the car's computer and lists the faults detected. It's not too expensive to have this diagnosis carried out and most decent mechanics have to possess this equipment these days to be able to repair cars. In most cases, dud sensors are not too expensive to replace either.

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
Thanks Calaber :)
It was put on the diagnosis machine and it threw no error codes. So I'm worried because I don't have the funds to replace things that don't need to be.
And you may find it hard to believe but when it comes to cars and women, we can get terribly taken advantage of. That's why I'm trying to collect as much info as I can before I go to a shop mechanic.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic down South? (SA)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
And you may find it hard to believe but when it comes to cars and women, we can get terribly taken advantage of. That's why I'm trying to collect as much info as I can before I go to a shop mechanic.

No, I have no difficulty believing that. I have witnessed it within my own family on at least one occasion.

Sorry I can't help with any mechanics - South Aus is a long way from Newcastle. Good luck.

Strawberrymusk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Thanks Calaber :)
It was put on the diagnosis machine and it threw no error codes. So I'm worried because I don't have the funds to replace things that don't need to be.

Tammy, have you had any luck finding the problem ?
As my 2010 Barina is doing the very same thing :)

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
Hi strawberrymusk. No not yet. Have you tried using your spare key? One suggestion I had was that the battery could be going flat in key remote which affects the immobilizer. It's worth a try.

I was considering replacing the fuel pump myself (I'm no mechanic but not afraid to try)
Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial - prefer youtube - I like to see pictures :p

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
I found a youtube video to remove the fuel pump in a chevy Aveo. I did see a round black cover under my back seat in my Barina. So Im wondering if its the same.
Will see if I can find a vid on the Daewoo Kalos

Last edited by a moderator:

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
Folded the back seat up and found this cut out in the carpet

20160305_164158.jpg

20160305_164146.jpg

There is a plastic cover