Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 Holden commodore Ignition Coils need changing - Check Engine warning light !!!!

fox083545

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Holden Commodore Omega sedan Series 1
Hey Guys,

Need your input on this....

Car Model: 2010 Holden Commodore Omega SIDI ( not series 2) 3.0L V6
Loc: Sydney, NSW

I got this "check engine" warning light today also the engine light ( the orange light) continuously on while driving
I had the same warning about a month ago and disappeared, the Mechanic advised to return as the Ignition coild are starting to wear out
He advised the engine might not be impacted if i gnore for another 15 Days, however other electronics and circuits could be impacted. (My idea was to wait till next month 15th, Financial reason)

Well this morning he checked again and advised that they need changing: Quote: $650 :bomb:
Was checking if anyone had similar issue and any chance we can lower the price ??? ( different Mechanic in sydney, buy the coild myself and get it to him, etc..)
I cannot do it myself - no idea how to do it..... Dont want to risk bigger damage by experimenting on my car....

Thnx for readind and replying......

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Shame you're not willing to tackle the job yourself as a quick search reveals the parts are much less than half the $650 quoted.

fox083545

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would love to take the challange of installing it myself - Just dont know where to begin, no tools, no experience
Atleast i can save on purchasing the product myself on ebay or some where else and get it done for me.

6x Brand New Holden Commodore VE V6 Ignition Coil & Caprice Statesman WM WL 3.6L | eBay

I didnt ask the mechanic to do it straightaway so i can ask around and do some research to check if i can get it done cheaper.....
any by the way the car did about 130,000K's

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I don't have the 3.0l but looking at the book it is pretty straight forward you just take off the inlet manifold and then unbolt the 1 bolt holding the coil in place and unplug the coil and change each one.
you might need a new inlet manifold gasket.
it shouldn't take more than an hour to do the job.

pitty you don't have tools etc to do it because its a pretty easy job, see if you can get a mechanic to quote you an hour rate and you supply the parts it might be a little cheaper.

this will give you an idea what needs to be done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25EWBxV9jc

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Coils fail and usually cause a misfire, they don't just wear out (no moving parts-just a coil of wire) I would have the car scanned first, find out what has brought on the engine light, plugs are cheap, but before spending big find someone to scan for codes=if you had the light come on then go away it will either be a pending code or in the history (use a different mechanic I think he is not looking for the cause just throwing parts at it)

fox083545

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ya he cheked the Fault code twice ( one month apart) and advised that its the ignition coils - the car works fine, only had few seconds of car trying to reach for fuel (like engine sounds like off and piks up again )
apart from that didnt see any other symptoms. He may be true that coils need changing afterall
However will take to another mech for second opinion,

Any good mechanics in sydney area (close to burwood, strathfield, Ashfield) u guys are aware of ?

thnx for the video i will check and see if i can pull it off

fox083545

Reaction score
Members Ride
UPDATE:

I did go to another Mech to get a second opinion.

here is a small story

I first borrowed those little Car ODB error reader from my colleague at work. The error showed something about oxygen tank overfill or something like that..... didnt mention nothing about coils
So i decided to go to a different Mech my friends go to - surprisingly he got the same oxygen tank code error. he advised if the car is not jerking or misfiring or nothing unusual noticed - colis are fine no need to change them.
he cleared the warning for me and advised dont worry about the oxygen warning - its just a low level warning but if you really want to change it - he will do it for 70$.

I cannot believe i was almost about to speand $650. cant believe the mech cloe to my place woul do omething like that
I cannot judge what bought him to that conclusion. on my day off i wanted to go to my friends mechanic ask him to remove the coils and check so i can decide if my mechanic close to my place is not to be trusted at all.