Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 sv6 cats

Conda

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 sv6 ute poison ivy
does anyone kno where to get some 2nd hand or new stock cats? im pretty sure mine have burnt them selves out!!! thanks

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
a wrecker or holden for new. try looking on gumtree it is a great personal ad service

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
why stockies? better off putting in something better like metal 200 CPI jobbies

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
does anyone kno where to get some 2nd hand or new stock cats? im pretty sure mine have burnt them selves out!!! thanks

What makes you think you've damaged your cats?

Your SV6 is only around 24 months old.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If youre getting catalyst low efficiency trouble codes I would suggest replacing the cat gaskets first.

A common issue is the gaskets leaking and messing with the post cat readings.

Conda

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 sv6 ute poison ivy
If youre getting catalyst low efficiency trouble codes I would suggest replacing the cat gaskets first.

A common issue is the gaskets leaking and messing with the post cat readings.

yeh true i have had the ute in the exhaust shop multiple time and they said they sealed it up with gasket glue and assure me its all plugged up! so only thing to do is to replace cats and see if thats the case... what do you think

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They aren't really the type of seals that require gasket glue as they are a crush seal.

If they are trying to seal old gaskets it may still be leaking.

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
They aren't really the type of seals that require gasket glue as they are a crush seal.

If they are trying to seal old gaskets it may still be leaking.

i know i am speaking from experience but all the exhaust work i have done at volkswagen ( im a tech) they put gasket glue on the crush type gaskets.
of course holden is very diffrent to a german company. but the way i see it is it can not hurt if you put it on no? its just going to create a more effective seal.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ive never used gasket glue on these cat seals and once I do a repair have not had any come back apart from those which had failed catalytic converters. Normal practice is to try seals first as they are cheap and most times fix the issue. The post cat seal isn't a simple crush between two mating surfaces type seal, the pipework actually slides over the seal. Simply applying sealant to the outside wont work as the inner seal can still leak. Reusing crush type seals isn't recommended by any manufacturer whether using sealant or otherwise.