Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 sv6 cats

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
If youre getting catalyst low efficiency trouble codes I would suggest replacing the cat gaskets first.

A common issue is the gaskets leaking and messing with the post cat readings.

Ricey

Are you saying if you get codes such as:
P0420 Catalytic Converter Low Efficiency (Bank1) or
P0430 Catalytic Converter Low Efficiency (Bank2)

there may be nothing wrong the the Catalytic Converter and it could be just the seals so it is a good move just to replace these seals first to see if the problem goes away?

Thanks

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Correct!

:)

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
My ve didn"t have any cat gaskets so I replaced the passenger side but can't get the drivers side cat off its a bitch

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
My ve didn"t have any cat gaskets so I replaced the passenger side but can't get the drivers side cat off its a bitch. But I hope this fixes my P0430 check
Engine warning

Jake96

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ute v6
If youre getting catalyst low efficiency trouble codes I would suggest replacing the cat gaskets first.

A common issue is the gaskets leaking and messing with the post cat readings.

Ricey, I bought a 08 ve from a dealership about 3 weeks ago, 4 days later engine light came on, took it to the dealerships mechanic scanned it and p0420 and p0430 come up bank 1 and bank 2 below efficiency, they replaced o2 sensors and cleared codes 3 days later light comes again same codes come up so they spoke to there exhaust shop and he reckons put restrictors in to stop so much air flowing threw did that and then 4 days later engine light comes on again what should I get them to do? I spoke to my mechanic and he reckons they should replace the cats or have the car tuned, any ideas? Should I get them to replace the cat gaskets?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Gaskets first as it's the cheaper option, there is also a software update to make the ECU less sensitive to 02 sensor readings as it was logging these codes unnecessarily. Personally I'd do software update first and see if that fixes the issue.

Rhys duncan70

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SV6 Ute.
Gaskets first as it's the cheaper option, there is also a software update to make the ECU less sensitive to 02 sensor readings as it was logging these codes unnecessarily. Personally I'd do software update first and see if that fixes the issue.
So are we talking pre or post gaskets? And how the hell do you get to all the bolts? Looks like it may be easier to drop the motor?
I currently have both codes coming up on a 2011 sv6 that’s just clicked over 200ks. It’s also surging at low throttle
Cheers Rhys.

ginga jimmy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute
Thought I'd revive this thread rather than starting a new one. I'm getting a consistent P0430 code (bank 2 catalytic efficiency) on my VE Omega Ute. I've disconnected the battery, replaced all the oxygen sensors, the catalytic converter (new gaskets, etc.), plugs, checked for exhaust leaks throughout the system and cleaned the airflow meter. Starting to get expensive! My VE is the model prior to the one that had the software update to reduce the sensitivity of oxygen sensor readings.

Engine light is still coming on, although not as readily with the new plugs. It now takes a day or two to come on after being reset rather than half an hour or so. Seems to come on going up slight inclines at low revs (so when labouring a bit). Could it be ignition leads or something like that? Otherwise the car runs great.

Anyone have any ideas?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
@ginga jimmy Do you have access to a scan tool.
If so, have you checked live data of O2 sensor voltages on all 4 sensors at idle and say 2500 rpm.

You could get 2 of these that go on the post cat sensors to and see if they help .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/282256410019

you could also check the below site and see if there is in fact a software update for your vin. Just got through the selection criteria and see if there is P0420 And P0430 fix .
https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/