Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 TK Barina Sub Install

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey guys, a mate has asked me to see if i can install a sub/amp in his friends TK Barina (2010)

Anyone know how to take the dash apart, if they have RCA/sub outputs on the back of the standard head unit, etc etc

Any info is much appreciated. Also it's a manual so finding a place for the amp power wire to go through will be fun.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You won't find any rca pre outs on the factory unit.

You'll either have to use a line out convertor (LOC) or most amps these days have high level inputs for connecting without RCA's.

No advice on the dash sorry never done a new model Barina.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
You won't find any rca pre outs on the factory unit.

You'll either have to use a line out convertor (LOC) or most amps these days have high level inputs for connecting without RCA's.

No advice on the dash sorry never done a new model Barina.

Thanks heaps for the reply man, Can you explain what LOC and High Level Inputs are? Have only worked with RCAs thus far :p
Having trouble finding any info at all about any barina let alone the newest one. It might have an amp already for all I know.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A line out convertor takes a speaker wire signal which is a high level, and converts it to a low level signal which is more suitable for amplifiers.

Basically you have an input on the convertor which is where the speaker wire connects, and on the output side is an RCA output. So, speaker wire in, RCA cable out. RCA cable obviously then connects to the amplifiers input.

Any line out convertor should come with basic instructions when you buy one anyway.

A high level input is just using existing speaker wire connected directly to the amp itself. You will see on most amps it has "high level inputs" basically this gives you the option to connect the amplifier when you don't have either a line out convertor, or an aftermarket head unit with dedicated pre-outs.

There's no pre-outs or amplifiers or anything in the Barinas so your only choice without fitting an aftermarket head unit would be one of the above two options.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh fantastic! Thanks for explaining that. Ok well I think she's already bought an amp so I'll have to take a look at that, we might not even "need" to take the dash apart - bar running the amp power cable... but I think it's a manual so no easy way out there.

bigdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 98
hi i have the exact same car, i thinking about doing this also so please keep me posted on how u go, i have a amp with High level output but i lost the wiring loom lol., so im prolly gona go with the line out option.

cheers