Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 Ve SS with AFM What mods can I do

peat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Commodore
I have a Ve ss with AFM, what mods can I do to make it sound better and go quicker?

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Firstly, you can use the "search" function.
Exhausts, OTR's & Computer tuning have been covered 100000000000's of times.
I can see its your 1st post, but try doing a bit of research yourself & actually "learn" about you car.......
It will also come down to how much power you want, how deep your pockets are, & what you actually use the
car for..(daily, weekend, track etc)

peat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Commodore
Firstly, you can use the "search" function.
Exhausts, OTR's & Computer tuning have been covered 100000000000's of times.
I can see its your 1st post, but try doing a bit of research yourself & actually "learn" about you car.......
It will also come down to how much power you want, how deep your pockets are, & what you actually use the
car for..(daily, weekend, track etc)

Thanks for the response.....yep your right, there is a lot of info on the site, I have done the searching and have a fair idea how my car works. I know the AFM is a bit more difficult to play with and after looking through the site I'm still not sure I have the answer I'm after.

I should have been a little clearer in my question.

I would like the car to sound like a V8 and have a little more power, it's for everyday driving so I don't want to spend huge dollars. Changing the Exhaust seems to be a problem, is there an option that works?

thanks.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Depends on budget, ask yourself whether you should spend several thousand dollars on this car before you open your wallet and chase some bolt-on noisy bits.
Cheapest to make L76 sound different and less muffled is to change rear mufflers (axle back) - $50-$200 ebay/Gumtree. This is a conundrum as nothing kills the drone (you then start notice at 1800) like the stock mufflers. Look it up
Next cheapest sound mod is to install a Cold Air Intake $550-800 installed. Look it up
In the sub $1000 category you have a choice of cat back systems starting at $750 for 2.5" mild steel. Look it up
CAI plus catback and tune it all up for $2-2.5k and it will sound and go +10-12% over stock (about 240rwkw), Look it up
Spend twice as much and it will go another +7-10%, three times as much to milk last +5-7% out of bolt-ons before you have to crack it open... Look it up
At that point - $7000 / 290rwkw, old hands will point out that it is not worth investing in less than a full 3" branded stainless system, CAI, cam and tune $8000 / 320-345rwkw (+50% over stock), then you think maybe I should've listened to the old #### in the first place.
EDIT: Or spend $12-14,000 for twin turbo or supercharged for 400-550rwkw +100% over stock

Last edited:

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I would like the car to sound like a V8 and have a little more power, it's for everyday driving so I don't want to spend huge dollars. Changing the Exhaust seems to be a problem, is there an option that works?

thanks.

1.VCM OTR from EBay that retains MAF $500 (VCM infill panels from eBay $100)
2.Pacemaker tuned length header and Hi-flow Cats $2000 installed (would do them first, if your still not happy with sound then)
3.CatBack exhaust $800-$1200 installed for mild steel or $1500-2000 stainless steel.

Personally, and from my experience and if your on a budget,I would go the CAI ( either type) and Pacemaker Headers/ HiFlow cats (all for < $2500) See what it's like but it should sound much better but then if not happy change the mufflers for another $400 (or Varex for $1000). The prices I've quoted are WA prices, everything costs more over here because if they don't pay higher wages they lose workers to the mining industry

For the OTR a SS Inductions Growler is good too, I've had both on mine and not much difference apart from the stock look of the Growler.

If you do them 3 mods it will be around 355rwhp.

Last edited:

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Also depends if its manual or auto with the exhaust but that can be tuned out

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Also depends if its manual or auto with the exhaust but that can be tuned out

Manuals don't have AFM, there is no difference when you get CAI, Full exhaust and no need for a tune, unless he wants to spend a grand on something at does FA

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Manuals don't have AFM, there is no difference when you get CAI, Full exhaust and no need for a tune, unless he wants to spend a grand on something at does FA

Technically a manual does have AFM but its turned off in computer all the bits are there.

No need for a tune with a full exhaust as it does nothing ? Are you tripping ?

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
All the **** for AFM is on the manual like said above fit a cam and you need it all removed on an auto the exhaust sounds like crap if it isnt turned of.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
No, it doesn't sound like crap with AFM on, unless you get a crap exhaust.