Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 VE SV6 Low Revs Misfire/Stutter

Zaccorbett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 Commodore 2010
Hi all - apologies if this exact issue has been posted elsewhere, I had a look around but couldn't find an exact solution it seems.

I'm living in Brisbane, and I've owned an SV6 VE Auto 6-speed since I was on my P's (early 2013, bought it at 80,000km). It's now at 217,500km, and for the last 10k I've noticed a small issue develop with my car misfiring at low revs. I would say it's around <2,200rpm? It's at the point where I can barely go up an incline or put load on the engine in a low rev range without the car shaking noticeably.

While on a trip to Yeppoon, I took it to the Tyre & Mechanical Shop up there since I didn't want to drive home with this issue. After a diagnostics test, it showed a Cylinder 3 misfire, and they were bringing up topics such as replacing rings or valves. The next day, they said that it was just a loose breather hose which they'd put back on, and that was all the issue was.

It ran fine for the majority of the trip, handling a few overtakes no worries, but when I got back to Brisbane (7-8 hours of driving), the same issue arose again.

A few more weeks and I took it to a mechanic here, who got the same code from a test (cylinder 3 miss), and did a check of all the air intake/hoses which, upon getting my car back, made no difference. This was just yesterday.

Admittedly my service history isn't great, there's been a few times where the car has probably gone around 25k-30k without an oil & oil filter change. Have always used 5W-30 Synthetic.

The conversation today with my mechanic was about maybe dodgy spark plugs or even a timing chain issue ($$$), but it seems strange that while in Yeppoon the mechanics there seemed to resolve the issue perfectly at the time. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Same symptoms can be produced with different problems.
Did you/mechanic bother to replace plug/s and/or coil/s?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
From your service history, my guess is intake valve coking. Known issue.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Mine did the same thing - cylinder 3 miss fire.

Replaced Coil packs (still original at 155***km) and spark plugs while I was at it.

Problem solved.