Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 Wagon Violent gear change when cruising at 100km/h

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thanks Harry, that's encouraging..

I've just rung the dealer and found out that I am getting a used transmission swapped in, roughly around 100k km's on it.

He wasn't happy that I rang, and even less so when I told him that I've been doing some reading (referring to reading up on my rights as a purchaser), sending a pretty snarky SMS afterwards.

Oh well, I'll continue to be polite. I'm sure he didn't mean to sell me a car with a bad transmission, he probably didn't even know it was the case, just accepted it as a trade in and moved on.
Well done.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I'll most certainly be enquiring about the type of warranty I have on the repairs.
Is there anything outlined in the law? I couldn't see anything obvious in the sections that I was looking at, but I wasn't exactly looking for "extra warranty on warranty repairs".

It's only a small car yard, one guy owns and runs it.

Repairs should normally includes 3 months (90 days) warranty (not sure on accumulated k’s in that time)
But it’s good to see the person willing to part will their money have a win.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Latest update. I've got the car back now, with my new used transmission (although the dealer kept referring to it as a gearbox, and when I asked if he meant transmission, he said "yeah whatever you want to call it").

Anyway, he also fixed the seat belt after I mentioned the specific laws around selling second hand cards and the road traffic act.

However, he refused to give me any documents as a receipt of work that was completed, nor would he even tell me who fixed the car. Apparently he doesn't even have the paperwork yet, the car shop is yet to send it through to him, but said that he would send them through when he receives them.. He literally walked away from me as I was talking to him.. :confused:

As was mentioned earlier in the thread - keep written records of everything - I've done just that, sending him a follow up email "capturing" our conversation that he would send through the details of what was fixed, and I also enquired about any further warranty on the replacement transmission/gearbox (I'm pretty confused at this point what was actually fixed). I feel like this "warranty on the repairs" is a bit of a shot in the dark, I couldn't find anything in the Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Act 1995 that talked about warranty repairs - and as I type this, he's replied asking what I mean by warranty of the repairs.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Latest update. I've got the car back now
You happy with how it drives now? If so, thank the salesman.
A thank you to him may well see you getting the paper work.
If no thankyou, the paper work may well disappear, never to be seen again?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Couldn't agree more. As I said, I've been nothing but polite the entire time, and yes in my email to him after getting home I thanked him for getting the car fixed so quickly

Reactions: Lex