Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hi guys.
My virgin post.
I see a lot of people talking about oil consumption with the new SIDI engines, but not 1 person has actually posted outcomes of the Holden oil consumption test, if something was fixed, what was fixed or even Holdens acceptable oil consumption rate. I too have the same issue, I have owned a lot of cars in my time, from EH's, HJ's VL's VS's Vy's and now a series 2 SV6 2011 sportwagon SIDI, this is just Holdens I have owned. I too have never experienced an engine using oil.
Currently my SV6 S2 SIDI has used 450mls in 3000k's. I have started an oil consumption test with Holden last Friday 26/10. I bought the car with 20000ks on it from Heartland Holden blacktown, I noticed the oil was low before I paid for it, got them to top it to full. I check oil and everything else weekly, I noticed no change in oil levels first 2000ks, then when i checked it at around 3000ks I noticed it was right on the midway mark of the dipstick, there is a line. I went to the dealer and spoke to the head mech there as well. They advised me that they added 450mls and to come back in 1000ks and they will check again. Also the mechanic advised that the SV6 3.6 SIDI runs hotter than other holden engines, also when you think about it, it is a "high performance" engine, well, compared to other holden V6's. Anyways, we will see what Holden come up with and if they say is within spec. Also the dealership advised they use Castrol GTX professional which is a semi-synth oil and is 10w30 grade, they do not use 5w30 as it is not really suited to Sydneys temps.
Also guys, I think this fact may have been over looked, but a dipstick measures only the top 1 litre or so of total oil capacity in your sump.
If anyone has any info on their exact oil consumption and the end results from Holden and what they recommended or if they fixed anything, I would love to know.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Hey mate. Obviously keep going to Holden with your consumption test because there is always a chance of some underlying issue that may be picked up under warranty. My suggestion would be to use a quality Full Synthetic oil as I and some others on these forums have noticed that this tends to resolve consumption issues. I also do oil and filter changes every 7000km.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Whatever you decide, make absolutely sure that you continue using an oil both recommended and accepted by Holden (as per the Owners Handbook). To deviate may cost you any warranty claim(s) if engine repairs are required.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
simple, go to holden and ask for the revised engine cover gasket. It will be free and it fixed my car

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
simple, go to holden and ask for the revised engine cover gasket. It will be free and it fixed my car

I'm sorry I have to ask but what is an engine cover gasket? Was your car burning oil or was it leaking?

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
I'm sorry I have to ask but what is an engine cover gasket? Was your car burning oil or was it leaking?

sorry i posted that half asleep, i meant revised rocker covers. No it wasn't a leak I was told it was free of charge to sort out the excessive oil consumption found on the LLT sidi's

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
On mine they changed my oil to full havoline synthetic an that stopes the oil consumption so far.

Asked about rocker cover change they have never heard of it, do you have a warranty code or number for the changed over rocker cover?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
sorry i posted that half asleep, i meant revised rocker covers. No it wasn't a leak I was told it was free of charge to sort out the excessive oil consumption found on the LLT sidi's

Ahh OK. Not sure if you have ever seen the movie Fletch but I reckon you got the old "Svetsa Valve" routine pulled on you but could be wrong.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I'm also in the process of an oil consumption test but have yet to go back for my first checkup. They want to check the oil levels every 3000k's, I'm not up to that yet. I know that when I put my foot to the floor on takeoff the car blows some smoke. Not sure if all the SIDI's do this but this could be burning the oil (obviously).

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hey SV6 guy. How much oil did you go through on yours? From what I can gather on mine, topped up to full mark when I bought the car, before I drove off, then 3000ks later its was down to the half way marker on the dipstick, Holden dealer then advised me they put in 450mls to bring back up to full mark? Was yours more than this?