Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
My test resulted in 500ml used in 2500 k's which is still pretty high IMO. They checked for leaks and none were found. Have to go back in another 3000 k's for the next test.

Hey Woollie.
Have you been driving the car harder than usual? The last 1200ks i did, I used 1litre , but I drove like it was stolen most of the time. They said they could not see any leaks etc, whatever that means, and advised it is just burning it off into the ether. Anyways, i will keep updating this thread. After the next 1000k oil consumption check, i am going to change to a full synth oil 5W30 or 5W40. see how that goes

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Penrite 5w-40 Full Synthetic in mine...consumption dropped to negligible amounts instantly. I'm changing every 7000ks though.

Did the same with the same result, prior to this the dealer had been using that Castrol GTX professional semi synth 10W30 rubbish.

Has used no oil in 5000ks. I will only be using Penrite 5w-40 Full Synthetic in mine from now on.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Hey Woollie.
Have you been driving the car harder than usual? The last 1200ks i did, I used 1litre , but I drove like it was stolen most of the time. They said they could not see any leaks etc, whatever that means, and advised it is just burning it off into the ether. Anyways, i will keep updating this thread. After the next 1000k oil consumption check, i am going to change to a full synth oil 5W30 or 5W40. see how that goes

Yeah, I've been driving a bit harder when the kids aren't in the car...lol. From a lot of the answers I've read I think full synthetic is the way to go. Maybe Holden need to change their recommendations on oil.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did the same with the same result, prior to this the dealer had been using that Castrol GTX professional semi synth 10W30 rubbish.

Has used no oil in 5000ks. I will only be using Penrite 5w-40 Full Synthetic in mine from now on.

Just to clarify, did you think you where using a lot of oil in the first place?
Did you undertake the oil consumption test with ur holden dealer?
How much oil where u going through, say every 1000ks -3000ks? or so?

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Just to clarify, did you think you where using a lot of oil in the first place?
Did you undertake the oil consumption test with ur holden dealer?
How much oil where u going through, say every 1000ks -3000ks? or so?

Early in the cars life it was using around 1 to 1.5 Lt per 5000ks.
No, I did not do a consumption test.
The consumption appeared to be getting better (less) the more Ks the car did.

Car now has around 40,000 on it.

Hope things work out for you guys, maybe just give it a chance. Change to full syn oil and see how it goes.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Ok another update:
I spoke to Watson Holden down in VIC, spoke to an excellent guy Tom, he explained to me that Holdens acceptable oil usage for a series 2 SV6 3.6 SIDI is 2.5ltrs /10000ks. At my current usage rate I am within spec, hahahahaha so apparently I am all good as I would be using @1.5ltrs of oil per 10000k's, hahahahaha, you gotta be joking, out of a newish 23000k's engine??? FFS come on fellas. Also he said there was a change in rocker cover design which addresses the PCV, not sure of the cutover date this was changed, and so if you needed a new rocker cover, then you would be getting the revised version. So we will see. Anyways, now we all know what Holdens acceptable oil consuption is, 2.5ltrs oil/10000k's.
I will keep updating as I investigate further.

Holden have a long history of telling customers that excessive oil consumption is normal and putting a figure on what is an acceptable amount of oil to burn. This happened in the either the VR or VS and they changed the dip stick to increase the sump capacity on effected cars from memory.
If your told the oil consumption is normal and your not happy with that ask for it in writing and then tell them your going to the EPA to get the exhaust emmissions checked, you will probably find that with the oil comsumption rates they say are normal the car will not meet it's ADR's for exhaust emmissions if it does then they will have to fix it properly instead of fobbing you off.
A friend had this exact issue with his new VR Acclaim and that's what he did and the engine was rebuilt for him.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Another question I have for you guys is this......do you notice smoke from the rear of the car under heavy acceleration? I know that when I put my foot down I blow a fair bit of smoke which obviously tells me that it's burning the oil pretty damn rapidly. Could this also be caused by faulty or rings that aren't bedding properly?

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Another question I have for you guys is this......do you notice smoke from the rear of the car und have er heavy acceleration? I know that when I put my foot down I blow a fair bit of smoke which obviously tells me that it's burning the oil pretty damn rapidly. Could this also be caused by faulty or rings that aren't bedding properly?

yes have noticed

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another question I have for you guys is this......do you notice smoke from the rear of the car under heavy acceleration? I know that when I put my foot down I blow a fair bit of smoke which obviously tells me that it's burning the oil pretty damn rapidly. Could this also be caused by faulty or rings that aren't bedding properly?

Nah no smoke, I took off the air intake pipe from air filter to T/B and no pools of oil in there, but I did notice that the clamp was loose on the air box side??? very loose, would have been sucking in air after the filter, not good. I do not know how long this has been loose for, but probably was forgotten by whichever apprentice that worked on my car last at holden dealer. WTF??

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Expressing my disappointment

Why would Holden rebuild an engine, rather that replace with a new one from factory? Surely a new engine would be cheaper?
I for one would not want a rebuild, how do you know if everything gets put back correctly, plus the damages that your car would cop, from leaning on front guards etc etc. FFS the mechanics at my dealer cant even top up some oil without leaving greasy hand prints all over my car, WTF, WTF, WTF asses, imagine what I would get back if they replaced/rebuilt an engine, nah, no way.....
Na, no way. My car would have obviously been like this from new, so, it should have been rectified before it even rolled off, as I see it, too many of the SIDI's have this problem. GMH where in the ****, the govt bailed them out, now they sell us farked engines in new cars, WTF????
As much as i hate to say it, if it comes down to rebuild/replacement NEW engine, I think this will be the last Holden i will ever own. And I have owned a lot, EH, HR, HG, HJ, VL, VS, VY and now the VE. Not one of these cars have ever chewed oil like the VE, I am a maintanence freak, change oil regularly, never leave **** that broken, it gets fixed straight away. I would have thought that in this day and age, we would not be supplied with a farked engine that burns oil, especially an engine with 20000ks on it. WTF.
Anyway it is pretty sad when a guy that has had Holdens all his life, cops a shitter like these new SIDI engines in his commodore. The reason we buy Holden is to support an Aussie company, WTF?
If worse comes to worse, the car will be fixed, i will want to cash in my extended warranty, then the car will be sold and I will buy a Hyundai.
What are Holden/GM doing????? especially when it is so hard to sell new cars etc, car companies even offering interest free etc. If I owned GM holden i would be doing a major recall, not waiting for the cust to maybe detect an issue, and fix the design of these engines.
Thanks