Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 sv6 motor knock/tap. Please help!!

Corey2011sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE sv6
Can anyone help me diagnose this??

Brand new timing chains, new oil/filter ect. Oil pressure is all good. 2011 sv6 Series 2 commodore llt 120,000kms

Is my motor f***ed!?? Someone help.
The tap is quite inconsistent and on idle will go away untill it’s under revs. The car still runs like a dream! Just a very loud tapping/knocking sound. And am almost certain it’s coming from the top end. Drivers side head/intake is where it’s most noisiest. It’s quite an intermittent knock and has me and the mechanic that checked it out not knowing what it is. Thought maybe one of you guys have experienced this/or seen a similar issue

( it’s not being driven ). Have taken rocket covers off and inspected internals and all looks really good. No sludge, no metal bits in all when I drained it. No marks or scuffs that I can see anywhere. Have attached video link

Any help appreciated!!

Attachments

• AE8305A2-FA97-4DD6-8270-C2EDC8D4420F.png
    AE8305A2-FA97-4DD6-8270-C2EDC8D4420F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 493

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Sorry to hear this. Your car is 2011 and that year you should not not have chain issues and you car had done only 120,000 K's

I was told that a mechanic used a thingy that doctors use to check on you heart and the mechanic used thus in-between the belts without tangle himself when the engine was hamming like yours and it was pinpointed to be on the passengers side front next the fixed pullers where the belt goes around with the air con compressor. Yeah it was the CHAIN as something has come adrift.
He also had a Timing chain replacement at 240,000 K on the clock and this happen only a month later after the chain was fixed but it f..k up. The Mechanic that done the job tried to get out of it but its in the small claims tribunal now so i can comment.
The chain job is a shitty job, need to 100% concentrate on what you are doing but if the Mechanic get it wrong you up sh.it creek.
I was told that USE ONLY a mechanic that has done over 100's of the V6 chains and can see them in his sleep.

On another note, Another issue like yours a older car as the car had a reconditioned engine put into it and after a week the engine was hamming and it found that it was not the engine it was the cover under torque converter coming adrift and hitting the damper plate.
If I was you get the car on a hoist so you can get a better feel where the noise is coming from, "eg' the rear of the Engine the Mid section or the very front.

Did you disconnect the serpentine Belt and run the car and see if the noise is still there? yeah the car wont like it but it prove other are not making that horrible noise

Last edited:

Corey2011sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE sv6
Sorry to hear this. Your car is 2011 and that year you should not not have chain issues and you car had done only 120,000 K's

I was told that a mechanic used a thingy that doctors use to check on you heart and the mechanic used thus in-between the belts without tangle himself when the engine was hamming like yours and it was pinpointed to be on the passengers side front next the the pullers where the belt goes around with the air con compressor. Yeah it was the CHAIN as something has come adrift.
He also had a Timing chain replacement at 240,000 K on the clock and this happen only a month later after the chain was fixed but it f..k up. The Mechanic that done the job tried to get out of it but its in the small claims tribunal now so i can comment.
The chain job is a shitty job, need to 100% concentrate on what you are doing but if the Mechanic get it wrong you up sh.it creek.
I was told that USE ONLY a mechanic that has done over 100's of the V6 chains and can see them in his sleep.

Thanks mate. The chains have been replaced and the noise is exactly the same as it was before I replaced them. Really has me lost for what it is

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Please re read what I wrote above as I have edited it.
Hope its not the Tensioner on one side

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Had the same noise in my 40,000km engine, it's rod knock from a worn bearing. So unfortunately it's a new motor

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had the same noise in my 40,000km engine, it's rod knock from a worn bearing. So unfortunately it's a new motor
Geeee that bad for a 40,000km engine. There has to be another issue to cause this.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just wondering from member on this site does the Holden V6 quad cams Engines (HFV6 engine family, LY7, LEO and others) prone for bearing rod failures (Knocking)

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Just wondering from member on this site does the Holden V6 quad cams Engines (HFV6 engine family, LY7, LEO and others) prone for bearing rod failures (Knocking)
Not common at all, big end bearings yes but oiling issues with pumps and sludge build up

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just done a googling on this and spend one hour reading and I found just about noting on bearing failure on the HFV6 engine family, LY7, LEO and other but plenty of failure of chains and sludge stories. No doubt sludge oiling issues either a block pick up, block filter, or poor pump will fail the big end bearings first then the mains.
More you read the more you learn

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sometime I wonder why in the hell that Holden did not give us a oil Pressure gauge in the instruments cluster. To check my oil pressure I have to get the Notebook out and connect to the OBD 11 port and run ELM Street program.