Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 SV6 sounding like a rattle gun.

james10

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 sv6
Hi It only lasts a few seconds and happens about once a week. Seems to be at low speed under gentle acceleration. A couple of times coming out of a roundabout.
It is quite loud. There was a youtube vid on this site a long time ago that sounds quite a bit like my car is making.
Hoping some gurus here may be able to help. Car has always been serviced at local dealer and they do not have any ideas about what the problem could be. The link is not working here but if you youtube VE holden commodore omega crunching grinding noise it will pop up. Thanks

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Apparently the fix is to replace the oil pump pick up seal in the sump.
Read the comments below the video.
You need to watch the video on Youtube to see the comments.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I this your video James?

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
That video of your car sounds to me sounds like the timing chain is on the way out

james10

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 sv6
Do you need to take the engine out to drop the sump to check the pickup ?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
And this is a VZ SV6, 2011?
I would expect Holden to know a bit more than perjure that they don't know what the problem is!

Get the engine serial number (passenger side, down near the transmission hump join). Photograph it and look it up in the range of engines affected by timing chain elongation. There is a lengthy thread on this subject here on the forums somewhere that gives a list of the affected engine ranges. That is what this ratcheting noise sounds like, the timing chains; as the engine warms up to normal operating temperature, the racket calms down, but deep down inside, a perfect storm could be brewing.

This fault also affected the early 2009 VE Commodore (which came after the VZ), OMEGA, Commodore International and a couple of others -- any and all running the V6 Alloytec and the first generation SIDI V6.