Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 SV6 VE Series 2 (Help)

iBosaud

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE Series2
Hey guys I just bought my car and I wanted help because I'm sure you guys know a lot about commodores.
The IQ systems shows that there is no navigation and I was wondering if its possible just to put a cd or I need to do something else if so please tell me my best options. I also wanted to install the rear camera and sensor i also would prefer if you tell me my options and prices and if it works on the IQ system. Please if you know anybody who does it in the Gold Coast or around the Gold Coast please let me know.

Cheers..

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Ibosaud,

The easiest way to tell if you have a Navigation unit, is to press the MAP, or NAV button on the IQ unit.
If the Navigation Menu screen comes up, then you have Navigation fitted.
If it comes up as not installed, then you don't have navigation fitted.

(The NAV and MAP buttons are fitted on the fascia for all models, however they only work if you have the Navigation version of the headunit behind the fascia).

For Navigation models, the main unit has an extra daughter board that plugs in to the main CPU board, that has all (well nearly) the bits required for Sat Nav.
This includes flash chips to store the software, a GPS chip, and TCM bits and bobs. (Plus the extra Sat Nav and TCM antenna plugs).

Whilst SV6, SS, Berlina, and Calais headunits support adding this extra board to enable Sat Nav, the biggest problem is you cant buy these boards separately.
The only come with the whole main unit, which means to upgrade, you need to buy a new main unit (Not the fascia, which includes the screen and buttons),
and then fit 2 extra bits, the Sat Nav GPS Antenna, and the TMC antenna splitter.
(You will then need to program the new main unit to work with your car, which includes programming the VIN number).

DoubleDip, a member on here does this sort of stuff if you are interested. (He programmed up my IQ unit when I fitted it to my Series I Calais).
From memory, the Sat Nav upgrade was around $1500, which included a new headunit, MY13 maps, the antenna bits and programming.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

mattyh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Sorry for jumping in OP but ive got a 2010 ssv s1, when i press nav it says not installed. Does that mean i can get it, or do i need to upgrade the HU?
Cheers lads.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
For Series II Models (Series I Information is in the next post)
The not installed means that your headunit does not have the navigation board fitted.
This means to get Navigation fitted, you will need a main unit with Navigation fitted, the GPS antenna fitted to the car, and a TMC antenna splitter fitted to have Navigation.

When I say the main unit, I mean this metal box that is behind the fascia
image.php
image.php

This is the Fascia (The screen and the buttons) This plugs in to the main unit. It has very little smarts, and does very little by itself.
image.php
image.php

This is the Navigation Board (That you cannot buy separately) that has all the bits and pieces needed for navigation, including the Antenna connectors, CPU, Flash memory, SD Card holder, GPS receiver, TMC receiver, and lots of other little bits and pieces.
image.php
image_page.php

This board plugs in to the bottom of the CPU board on the main unit, as shown here.
image.php
image.php

So in summary, if you press the NAV button, and the system says that Nav is not installed, it means that the above board is missing.
To enable Nav, you need to fit this board (Which Holden will not supply on its own, it only comes with a Navigation main unit).
You would then need to fit the GPS antenna, and the TMC antenna splitter
image.php
image.php

I hope this clears things up ???

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
SERIES I MODEL INFORMATION

For Series I Models, the Navigation system is located in the glovebox.
image.php

There are two different models, the Turn by Turn (Which doesnt require the colour LCD screen), and the Full Colour Nav system, which uses the colour headunit screen.

This is what the Turn by Turn system kinda looks like
image.php

You enter your destination using the steering wheel buttons and the instrument cluster.

The full Colour Nav system looks like this.
image.php

You need the Main glovebox unit, the Navigation Gateway Module, GPS antenna, some looms, and a NAV DVD.

You can retrofit Navigation to a Series I model (Its actually quite easy).
The hardest part is sourcing ALL the ear you need, as many wreckers do not realise what parts are required, and when they sell the kit, it is usually missing the most critical bits. (Such as the Navigation gateway, and the video wiring loom).

There is some more detailed information on the Series Sat Nav system (How to fit) here
www.carmodder.com • Fitting Factory Sat Navigation for the Holden VE Commodore

I hope this helps as well ?

Last edited:

iBosaud

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE Series2
Ok can I just order the navigation board from any place else or get it from a scrap yard or wtv if I do so ill only need some1 to do the rest.

Anyways thanks mate

mattyh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
SERIES I MODEL INFORMATION

For Series I Models, the Navigation system is located in the glovebox.
image.php

There are two different models, the Turn by Turn (Which doesnt require the colour LCD screen), and the Full Colour Nav system, which uses the colour headunit screen.

This is what the Turn by Turn system kinda looks like
image.php

You enter your destination using the steering wheel buttons and the instrument cluster.

The full Colour Nav system looks like this.
image.php

You need the Main glovebox unit, the Navigation Gateway Module, GPS antenna, some looms, and a NAV DVD.

You can retrofit Navigation to a Series I model (Its actually quite easy).
The hardest part is sourcing ALL the ear you need, as many wreckers do not realise what parts are required, and when they sell the kit, it is usually missing the most critical bits. (Such as the Navigation gateway, and the video wiring loom).

There is some more detailed information on the Series Sat Nav system (How to fit) here
www.carmodder.com • Fitting Factory Sat Navigation for the Holden VE Commodore

I hope this helps as well ?

Thanks mate, really appreciate your time and effort.