Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 VE SV6 Wheel dilemma?????

Gho5t88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 S2 VE SV6
hey guys im new to commodores just bought myself a 2011 VE sv6 and having trouble understanding rim offset and tyres sizes.

I want to purchase Versus Affliction 20s (http://www.tech9tyres.com.au/wheels/detail/affliction-vd-5185) but all of these offsets and tyre sizes are really complicated for me.
i would like a wider rear tyres but between the 2 different sizes being 8.5 and 9.5 there are 4 different offsets what is safe for my car the car is standard.

i would also want the accents to be sprayed a different colour to match the car (hazard yellow)

Would appreciate all comments and thoughts thx

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
hey guys im new to commodores just bought myself a 2011 VE sv6 and having trouble understanding rim offset and tyres sizes.

I want to purchase Versus Affliction 20s (Tech 9 Tyres - Wheels: Versus Wheels Affliction) but all of these offsets and tyre sizes are really complicated for me.
i would like a wider rear tyres but between the 2 different sizes being 8.5 and 9.5 there are 4 different offsets what is safe for my car the car is standard.

i would also want the accents to be sprayed a different colour to match the car (hazard yellow)

Would appreciate all comments and thoughts thx

OK you want to buy the 20 inch wheels.

1. You need the 5 x 120 stud pattern (PCD) (so ignore the wheels with the 5 x 114.3 stud pattern because they will not fit a VE).

2. There are only two 20 inch wheels presented there with the 5 x 120 pattern - 20 x 8.5 ... 45 offset and 20 x 9.5 ...50 offset. Both these wheels in those offsets will fit the VE perfectly either with 4 x 8.5 wheels or with 2 x 8.5 Front and 2 x 9.5 Rear.
On the 8.5 inch wheels you will need 245 35 20 tyres and on the 9.5 inch wheels you need 275 30 20 tyres. This will give you the correct rolling diameter and your speedo accuracy will be maintained.

The 20 x 8.5 inch wheel with those tyres fitted and 45 offset will sit in almost exactly the same position as the standard 18 x 8 inch factory rims fitted with the 245 45 18 tyres. The factory wheels are +48 offset so the new wheels and tyres will sit just 3 mm closer to the guards front/rear. A good fit.

If you decide to put 9.5 inch rims on the rear (+50 offset)(as found on various HSV models) with the 275 30 20 tyres, the package is going to sit approx 13 mm or half an inch closer to the rear guards than your current standard wheels/tyres. On that basis the 275 30 20 tyres should not foul the rear guard lips with suspension travel and hence you should not need to roll the lips on the rear guards. It will be quite close though.
The 9.5 inch HSV Rear wheels are +57 offset and hence sit a little further inside the guards than the Versus 9.5 inch 50 offset. So the new Versus brand wheels (in 9.5 inch and 50 offset) you are considering are very close to that .

3. If you buy those wheels check the wheel bore size. Most of these after market wheels have a much larger bore size than the VE hub (unlike the factory wheels which are machined for the wheel centres to fit the VE hub perfectly). Accordingly you will need hub centric rings to fill the gap between the wheel centre and the VE hub so the wheel is properly centred on the hub and is a snug fit. Without these hub rings the wheel cannot be properly centred on the VE hub and you will end up with vibrations because the wheel is not hub centric. The wheel seller should supply you with the hub rings when selling you the wheel so make sure you get them (as well as the correct design wheel nuts for the wheel).

That just about covers it. As you are in Sydney you can buy Versus wheels at All Wheels Australia, Castle Hill ... here ...http://www.allwheels.com.au/home.php?cat=274

Last edited: