Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 Commodore VE overheating

Gary Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 series II VE
The other day the instrument display says warning engine overheating and reduces power. I look at the temperature gauge and its off the scale . I drove it another 2k to a servo and topped up the water, and took a look under but there was no signs of a leak. Topping up made no difference. I drove another few k's and the guage needle drops from off the scale to zero, and has not moved since.

The car is driving ok albeit on reduced power. Would this be a dud thermo, or could there be other causes ?

Thanks in advance :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How much water did you have to top it up with?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It’s probably your radiator cap. Check your overflow tank. If it’s over full (assuming it was at the correct level to start with) the coolant is overflowing to the expansion tank but can’t get back to the radiator as the cap isn’t sealing properly.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A bad thermostat won't cause reduced power or explain the needle sticking on cold.
New cap is always a good idea and check both the temperature sensor/senders

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Make sure you use a Holden filler cap. The after market ones are calibrated to an outdated pressure and don't last. Holden caps are not expensive, costing about $30, just like the aftermarket ones do. New caps will be 140kPa, not 120.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Make sure you use a Holden filler cap. The after market ones are calibrated to an outdated pressure and don't last. Holden caps are not expensive, costing about $30, just like the aftermarket ones do. New caps will be 140kPa, not 120.

I had this issue with my SSV a couple of weeks ago. The car overheated and I had to run the heater full belt on a 30 degree day to get it home. The thermostat had failed so I replaced (after running it for a couple of days with no thermostat because parts stores don’t bother to keep them in stock!).

After I replaced the thermostat though the radiator cap failed and it was “losing coolant“ but it was going to the overflow tank and couldn’t get back. Bought 4 genuine caps from a Holden dealership for 28 bucks each (Holden parts won’t be around forever so I stocked up) and it’s all good now.