Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 commodore visual updates

Do you like the Styling Tweaks of the MY2012 Commodore

• YES, looking sharp

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • No, looks bad

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • HMMMM, looks the same to me

Votes: 34 53.1%

• Total voters

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I considered the HQ to HZ but again, the extent of change between HQ and HJ was pretty extensive - far more than the VE has undergone so far. By the time the HZ was released, the front guards, bonnet, plenum, boot, bumpers, head and taillights and parkers had all changed from the HQ. The only carry over external panels were the roof, sills and doors - even the rear quarters were different. On the HZ, even the subframe was "new" to accommodate RTS.

Thats why I said HJ to WB. HJ to HZ is only 5 years, but the ute and panelvan body remained the same for 6.. the WB. Yeah they changed some removable panels, but the actual shell didnt change.

Not sure on the front subframe on HZ. Did they change the actual frame or just the addons?

To me thats what was so cool about Kingswoods. You could get pretty much any part or body panel from any other model and stick it on your own model. Of course, you would have to get a set of panels not just one, but it was easy and cheap. Bolting a WB Ute nose onto a HJ Kingswood ( or vice versa) required both front guards, the nose cone and bonnet. The guards and nose cone didnt even have to be separated, you could remove them as one big piece and bolt them directly to the other car. And excepting the WB, because it had the different headlights, you didnt even need to change the radiator support panel.

Even going from a single headlight front end to a twin, or vice versa, only required replacing the radiator support panel as well, and they were bolted in not welded woohoo

I will always remember turning a HJ Kingswood into a HZ Premier parked in the carpark at the Devils Marbles in NT.

I had found a HZ Premier the day before near Alice Springs, abandoned, windscreen smashed, wheels gone and a conrod through the block. Took me and the mate I was travelling with about an hour to remove the entire nose, radiator support panel and all, and tie it to the camper trailer we were towing and keep going. We even took 2 of the doors, because the window runners were playing up in the doors I had, and the tail lights. Next morning, 2 hours parked in the carpark with tourists buses pulling up, we swapped it all over. I think the tourists took more pix of us than the Devils Marbles :D

It looked a bit silly for a few months till I painted it, because of course I hadnt been so lucky as to find the right colour..

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thats why I said HJ to WB. HJ to HZ is only 5 years, but the ute and panelvan body remained the same for 6.. the WB. Yeah they changed some removable panels, but the actual shell didnt change.

Not sure on the front subframe on HZ. Did they change the actual frame or just the addons?

To me thats what was so cool about Kingswoods. You could get pretty much any part or body panel from any other model and stick it on your own model. Of course, you would have to get a set of panels not just one, but it was easy and cheap. Bolting a WB Ute nose onto a HJ Kingswood ( or vice versa) required both front guards, the nose cone and bonnet. The guards and nose cone didnt even have to be separated, you could remove them as one big piece and bolt them directly to the other car.

Even going from a single headlight front end to a twin, or vice versa, only required replacing the radiator support panel as well, and they were bolted in not welded woohoo

I will always remember turning a HJ Kingswood into a HZ Premier parked in the carpark at the Devils Marbles in NT.

I had found a HZ Premier the day before near Alice Springs, abandoned, windscreen smashed, wheels gone and a conrod through the block. Took me and the mate I was travelling with about an hour to remove the entire nose, radiator support panel and all, and tie it to the camper trailer we were towing and keep going. We even took 2 of the doors, because the window runners were playing up in the doors I had, and the tail lights. Next morning, 2 hours parked in the carpark with tourists buses pulling up, we swapped it all over. I think the tourists took more pix of us than the Devils Marbles :D

It looked a bit silly for a few months till I painted it, because of course I hadnt been so lucky as to find the right colour..

Hmm, we seem to be doing circles here. So, to reclarify, I stated that the cosmetic changes made to the VE since its introduction are extremely minor and that it was the longest running model in Holden's history. It has changed so little that even with the new SIDI engines, it was only called VE II. Even the VS scored a new model designation and it was barely changed apart from the Ecotec being introduced. Perhaps I should have said "longest running model designation", but someone would have argued that Series II altered that. I dunno.

OK, regarding the HZ subframe first. RTS required altered upper front control arm mounting points, so the frame was actually a different part to earlier models.

Body shell - it WAS changed, substantially, (in sedans, at least) from the original to the HJ, then carried over for the next two models. The rear quarter panels were different on sedans and the plenum upper panel was different on all body styles to match the revised bonnet. It's true that the ute shells carried over from 1974 to 1984 (taking the revised plenum into account) and would therefore easily be the longest running body design, but not the longest "model", which was my original point.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
agreed, the VF should have come years ago :)

Although, in the old days, they changed from hj to hx to hz etc. They were all the same car, just minor changes. Now it seems they go series1 series2 series3 etc. , so perhaps we are using the wrong measure. Maybe there will never be a VF and they will come up with a YP for the next model lol

I did say from HJ though, never included HQ. Of course the HQ rear was different , the tail lights were in the bumper. A lot of it was the same though, including the floorpan.

I wasnt aware of the subframe changes, I assumed it might have some differences but still able to carry the older parts. Though you could bolt a WB subframe onto a HQ hows that for longetivity lol

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
They are most likely saving a rear end change for the last 2 series like they did with the VY and VZ. They'll change the body into something new and fancy I'm guessing.

Remember they cant change everything in one series to the next, otherwise they'll run out of things to change and won't sell the newer models!

Still not a fan of the Calais since Series 2, they look like a VE 06 Omega to me.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I notice Poison Ivy is no longer a paint option.

Car does not look bad , but chrome is a cheap looking option to dress up a front end.

Cheers.

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
The little chrome surrounds at the front are just a bit G6'ish looks alright, but dont think people will be selling their current ve or veII to buy it.

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
Does it look like the grill sections are shallower and less "throaty"? (image of ford falcon G6 flashes into my mind) I like the original front on the VE, I think it has looked great right from the start... wide, hungry stance...I think that a deep grill gives an "I'm going to eat you" kind of look.. the appeal that the AC cobra has is in part due to the wide open mouth...and the HQ Monaro also had a deepish grill...perhaps that played a part in it's popularity as well?

I agree that the rear could do with a touch of refinement, a statement (after all we would all like to think that most people would find themselves FOLLOWING us...rather than looking at us in the rear vision mirror-says me with the recent loss of 4 points due to a failure to watch my speedo)

As far as the new bling...if I want to see anything on my car, it is definitely not chrome...except maybe on the wheels.

Really though (Holden)... if you want to improve anything on the VE... how about reducing the thickness of the A-Pillar? I think that is the single largest "flaw" in the vehicle I have now owned for two years...c-mon.... you can do it!

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
credit to you DSLXIK.. I agree with the G6 slant