Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 Equipe - 3.0 SIDI Losing/Using Coolant

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I don’t know if mine were replaced by the mechanic who did ours.

Those pipes are named outlet housing (or similar) in the manual. Which is separate to the thermostat & housing.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don’t know if mine were replaced by the mechanic who did ours.

Those pipes are named outlet housing (or similar) in the manual. Which is separate to the thermostat & housing.
If I'm correct you can see those two pipes next to the Brake power Booster on the VE V6

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Been told by Holden and this is off record that when ever Holden stopped producing cars in Australia Spare Part for Holden will just dramatically jump up in prices. This is Mainly Genuine Holden parts that after markets cant or not willing to reproduce to keep Holden honest. This is Absolutely Disgraceful.

I drove Saabs for the best part of the last 5 years back in Ireland. Saab stopped production in 2011. The majority of parts are still easily had at fair prices. As with Holden, a lot of Saabs parts were generic GM parts used in Opel, Vauxhall etc

I personally wouldnt be too worried about parts if Holden closes shop in Oz as I'm sure someone else will step in.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I'm correct you can see those two pipes next to the Brake power Booster on the VE V6
Correct.
We went through a long period of years where I had to rely on mechanics due to family medical issues. Frustrating stuff. Even so, this was one job that is just better to get someone to do, because dropping the gearbox is a straight forward job for a workshop.

The outlet pipes are a seperate part.

The kits normally come with the seals for the outlet pipes.

True, SAAB and Cadillac parts are good alternatives. Sometimes good to source parts from the US on Amazon from those cars. Cheaper and almost as quick to get as Aussie supplied parts. (It is in Perth)

Cam sensors, CAS, Cam Actuators MAFs, etc, all a fraction of local Aussie prices even with conversion rates.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What two pipes? The whole casting is one piece so there is no two pipes, it just looks like that.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
3DCD69A0-05BF-4505-B05B-EA614D40708A.jpeg
Na. I mean the heater pipes that are connected to it. They lead round and are connected to the hoses. Sometimes, like the inlet seals, the seals for this leak.
Still have to remove the housing to make the repair.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Been told by Holden and this is off record that when ever Holden stopped producing cars in Australia Spare Part for Holden will just dramatically jump up in prices. This is Mainly Genuine Holden parts that after markets cant or not willing to reproduce to keep Holden honest. This is Absolutely Disgraceful.
That sounds a bit like The Man Mundine threatening Mahamed Ali.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
After reading the ways to change the Thermostat I was surprised in this bit.
Read: https://www.gdlauto.com.au/how-to-change-the-thermostat-in-a-holden-commodore-alloytech-v6/

And it says:
Whilst doing this job we also strongly recommend you carry out a cooling system flush and changing the coolant from the factory red to green coolant. Make sure a full flush is done including the heater core. We have found the red coolants are more prone to leaking than the green ones.
INTERESTING!!!

It like when you have a Heat Attack they give you Asprin ("eg" green Coolant) but if you still have trouble they give you Warfarin ("eg Red Coolant) intersting to know the red coolant are prone to leak more then the green stuff.