Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 L77 SMALL SHAVINGS IN OIL

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
I recently checked my oil and found some what looks to be steel shavings in the oil everytime I dip it in and pull it back up I can find at least another bit of steel.

Car has done 183xxx and is serviced every 10xxx, lifters are stock from what I know. I do have a tick at times but not a lot. Car has bolt ons and a tune for now.

Should I be worried at all? Is this a possible lifter failure? A little bit of guidance on what I should do from here is greatly appreciated

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Metal in the oil is never a good sign. Drop the oil and see what comes out but I would suggest further investigation required and don't drive it.

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
Metal in the oil is never a good sign. Drop the oil and see what comes out but I would suggest further investigation required and don't drive it.
When I changed my headers, I stupidly left the battery connected. And while I was trying to get my dipstick back down into its spot (I left the dipstick as a whole assembly) it hit the starter motor and sparked. It had a rugged sharp bit right on the bottom after.

Sometimes I’ll have a slight bit of trouble getting the dipstick back down. Could the metal be from the dipstick itself cutting into the outer piece and dropping shavings into the pan?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u have one of those little magnet tip extension things for getting tools out of situations could use that next time put it in the sump drain hole and move it around the bottom see it more metal is attaching to it, ive had my timing chain tensioner fall off and find its way to the sump i only found out when i was taking the sump off and herd it rattle in there so if i didnt do that i would never had known till maby something bad happened

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Check the contents of your current oil filter?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Cheers mate thanks for letting us know.
May help another member.:)