Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Mine is L77 M6. I thought auto cars came with L76 with AFM until VF1.

VE series 1, auto-L76, manual-L98.
VE series 2, all L77.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
VE series 1, auto-L76, manual-L98.
VE series 2, all L77.

Oh, OK.

So series II just had AFM switched on or off dependant on manual or auto with same internals ?

JQ417

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE2 Commodore SSV Z series
Ok so do you guys recommend me to purchase one or not? I’m looking for an SSV Z series Auto Sedan and I dont want it dead when cruising on the highways and not too expensive to maintain.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, OK.

So series II just had AFM switched on or off dependant on manual or auto with same internals ?

Yeah, that's it!

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Ok so do you guys recommend me to purchase one or not? I’m looking for an SSV Z series Auto Sedan and I dont want it dead when cruising on the highways and not too expensive to maintain.

Short answer: Yes

Longish answer: Yes if you are prepared to deal with any issues that may come up, its a car so its gonna happen.

Expect $50 a week in fuel at least and $800ish for insurance per year if you're over 25

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I would buy another one.

JQ417

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE2 Commodore SSV Z series
Short answer: Yes

Longish answer: Yes if you are prepared to deal with any issues that may come up, its a car so its gonna happen.

Expect $50 a week in fuel at least and $800ish for insurance per year if you're over 25
In term of fuel and insurance, it will be ok for me, normal scheduled services at dealer are also ok with me. Cheap plasic interior is fine. But what strictly not ok with me are major problems such as while driving on the highways, the engine’s suddenly dead, overheated, coolant system failures and those will cost a fortune to fix. Also heavy oil consumption. I bought an e46 3 series with 185000kms on it for $4500, had it for less than a year and been traveled for 30000kms since i bought it. Well guess what?! I have paid more than $4000 on the maintenance and repair for the car that worths $4.5K in less than a year. Oil leaks, coolant leaks, water bump fucked up, radiator has gone, electrical problems and heaps... but nice looking and nice to drive, solid built and luxury interior seriously!
But I would never want another one like that! That’s why I’m here to ask you guys about Commodore SSV Z series.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
In term of fuel and insurance, it will be ok for me, normal scheduled services at dealer are also ok with me. Cheap plasic interior is fine. But what strictly not ok with me are major problems such as while driving on the highways, the engine’s suddenly dead, overheated, coolant system failures and those will cost a fortune to fix. Also heavy oil consumption. I bought an e46 3 series with 185000kms on it for $4500, had it for less than a year and been traveled for 30000kms since i bought it. Well guess what?! I have paid more than $4000 on the maintenance and repair for the car that worths $4.5K in less than a year. Oil leaks, coolant leaks, water bump fucked up, radiator has gone, electrical problems and heaps... but nice looking and nice to drive, solid built and luxury interior seriously!
But I would never want another one like that! That’s why I’m here to ask you guys about Commodore SSV Z series.

High km euro at low price.....to be expected really.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's why they call 'em Bavarian Money Wasters.
I have no problems with my Commodores, that's why I have 3 of them.

If you want something absolutely reliable, buy a Camry...

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
if i could go back in time several years to when i bought it i'd probably get a mint condition VXII SS instead and have some fun with that. i definitely wouldn't modify the performance side of it again either, just the sound system.

as mentioned there is a chance the electronics will play up in the heat although i only had that in QLD not ACT or NT so maybe it is the humidity as well and it was nothing serious. if the reverse camera was black i'd just put it in park then reverse again and it worked, i haven't had anything like that for a couple of years now. still, for an australian car that people say it built for australian conditions that is pretty pathetic. my parents also have issues with their VE series 1 in the heat so it's normal across the range.
what did break was one of the door locking mechanisms so the door wouldn't stay shut at all anymore, that was pretty awkward and super annoying but not very expensive to fix. more recently the aircon compressor broke as well which was expensive shitted me off a lot, in terms of overall reliability my VX II exec fared much better and is still going strong after 15 years of ownership.

that being said i still like the car a lot and would only get rid for it for a VF series 2. i had considered selling it and looked at a variety of other cars from subarus to hyundais, fords, vw, mazda etc and test drove some of them but every time i do that i just love the commodore again. i don't feel any other car offers the same comfort, driving experience and value at the price point.