Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 SV6

MaxFappington

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Sv6 VE Series 2
Hey guys, I've got a 2012 sv6 series 2 one day was driving along nice n smooth, the next minute everything cuts out, Engine power/Steering & the breaks all at the same time. When I try too start it doesn't even click over. Any thoughts? Could it be ECU failure.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
When you turn the key on, does it do anything? Have you put a scan tool on it to see if there are any codes? Have you tried putting a jump pack/jump starting it? Need a bit more info here. Did you get any warning lights before it died?

MaxFappington

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Sv6 VE Series 2
When you turn the key on, does it do anything? Have you put a scan tool on it to see if there are any codes? Have you tried putting a jump pack/jump starting it? Need a bit more info here. Did you get any warning lights before it died?
When I turn the key I just hear a clicking sound for a few seconds then nothing. No I haven't got anything to scan it unfortunately. I have tried jump starting with no luck whatsoever. No lights on dash. I was doing 40 in a school zone next minute everything gone all at the same time.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Clicking sound is a classic flat battery symptom (it's the starter solenoid popping in and out). Battery or alternator would be a better starting point. Be aware the VE uses a calcium battery if you decide to replace it, this is important.

ECU is always a possibility, but it's super unlikely. Usually you will also have other symptoms that indicate it's on its way out, it won't just stop dead - usually the car just runs poorly, or you get odd errors etc...

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Very unlikely the ECU. Sounds like an electrical issue.

Start right at the basics.
Connect a good battery.
Battery terminals, leads, connections - make sure they're all clean and tight.
What does the good battery voltage do when you try to crank?
Do the interior lights work? Does anything work?
Start checking for power at the fuses.
Is the alternator belt still there?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sounds like battery.
How old is the battery in the vehicle now?

MaxFappington

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Sv6 VE Series 2
Clicking sound is a classic flat battery symptom (it's the starter solenoid popping in and out). Battery or alternator would be a better starting point. Be aware the VE uses a calcium battery if you decide to replace it, this is important.

ECU is always a possibility, but it's super unlikely. Usually you will also have other symptoms that indicate it's on its way out, it won't just stop dead - usually the car just runs poorly, or you get odd errors etc...
Yea it was strange, the car was running fine. Had no warnings.. what really shocked me is how the steering went heavy and the breaks at the same time. Ima go home and give it another once over.

SV607

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 & Holden EH Premier
Have u checked the earth lead from the engine bay to down under car to battery.. there common for coming loose. this would give u a on and off power... as it comes loose.. check the earth mount in engine bay is tight.. even add a extra earth line wont hurt.. u have even a tiny drop in power loss and the VE cracks a mental.. when my car was playing up... mine was the under body earth lead.. so when my amps and subs were installed.. i got them to put a new earth lead under the car to the battery.. seems to be fine.. hope u get urs sorts..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
what really shocked me is how the steering went heavy and the breaks at the same time.
The power steering pump relies on the the rotation of the engine - it's a hydraulic system in the VE, although even if it was electric that probably would have gone out the window too. Modern brakes are vacuum assisted, which relies on the vacuum created by the engine sucking in air when it's running.

Basically lots of things rely on the engine running and this is "normal" behaviour in almost every car when the engine conks out for whatever reason.