Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 VE Calais Series II - C0242 - "ECM indicated TCS Malfunction" help?

mrdevil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Series 2
Hi Commodore Gurus,

Hoping someone can help with this. My beloved 2012 VE Calais Series II had a new set of tyres installed about a month ago @ Kmart Tyre and Auto, and since then, she's been going into "Safety Mode" frequently once I hit approx 60kmph, with an error about the Stability Control Malfunctioning :(

I've hooked up the Tech2 to it, and the only DTC error showing is:
EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module)
C0242 Sympton 00
Engine Control Module Indicated TCS Malfunction

I'm guessing when they did the tyres they may have knocked a sensor or something... anyone else had this issue before, and if so know any more about what is causing it, or if there is any other diagnostic info I can access via the Tech2 to identify exactly what / where the problem is?

It's been gradually getting worse over the past week - originally it'd only go off if I was travelling above 90kmph, however over the last few days the speed has been getting lower at which it's been kicking into safety mode, although this might be just coincidence.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
sounds like rear wheel sensor, did they do anything else apart from tyres (are they the correct size)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Make sure every tire is the correct size.

mrdevil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Series 2
Thanks MYVESSV8 / lmoengnr - I wish it was that simple! Tyres are all the same - all Potenzas 245/45/R18s. Will continue checking the sensors etc - just annoying that it isn't giving any other error codes to indicate "exactly" what's wrong.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If there's no other DTCs then it's an ECM or EBCM internal issue. This code will not induce limp mode so make sure there's no other codes.

If there are no other codes the fix is literally replace ECM and if code comes back replace EBCM.

SMWALKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice PPV 6.0
MrDevils reply to my PM about this:

I ended up replacing the ABS unit with a secondhand one I bought on eBay (didn't have a choice as I broke it pulling it apart) - from memory I still ended up getting these error messages after that though, so ended up draining the brake fluid and replacing this, and bleeding the brakes. Also took all the tyres / brakes off, took out all the sensors attached to each wheel, and gave everything a good degreasing / cleaning in case some crap got into one of the sensors. After all of that I haven't had that error come up again, so something there fixed it, but not sure exactly what. Hope this helps.