Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 VE Redline SSV, exhaust problem

Auscon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 HOLDEN VE SSV REDLINE
Hey guys,

So starting about a week ago I had a noticeable exhaust leak coming from the exhaust underneath the front seats. The sound of it was noticeably different and rough idling. Today I replaced the gaskets of the flanges between the extractor pipes and the dual exhaust before the hotdogs. This has fixed the issue of the exhaust fumes coming from the bottom the front seats. But it still sounds terrible and when I'm idling and at stand still I'm getting a lot of white looking smoke out the back end of the mufflers. I can't see any oil or coolant around the engine bay. I'm thinking it may be the gaskets at the exhaust manifold, I'm not sure though. Before I changed those gaskets it did throw up a o2 sensor code P1153 on 3 of the sensors. If anyone has experienced anything similar

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The O2 sensor codes probably came up due to the exhaust leak. Get a piece of garden hose about 500mm long, use it as a stethoscope to listen around the headers to see if they are leaking at the heads. May have done a gasket there too, worst case it has cracked a pipe.

White smoke out of the exhaust could just be condensation but it could also be coolant. You may have a blown head gasket, intake manifold gasket or even a cracked head.

Has it been tuned at all?

Auscon

Reaction score
Members Ride
The O2 sensor codes probably came up due to the exhaust leak. Get a piece of garden hose about 500mm long, use it as a stethoscope to listen around the headers to see if they are leaking at the heads. May have done a gasket there too, worst case it has cracked a pipe.

White smoke out of the exhaust could just be condensation but it could also be coolant. You may have a blown head gasket, intake manifold gasket or even a cracked head.

Has it been tuned at all?

Thank you for reply, it was at the mechanics today to get diagnosed, so it's running a l77 in a manual, the way he explained it was all the l77s were made with the AFM system which is activated in the automatic models and redundant in the manual models. Long story short, it's running on 7 cylinders as 1 cannot open or is misfiring causing unburned fuel which is causing the smoke (I'm not really mechanically minded in this sense) but I'm looking at DOD/AFM delete kit and getting the cam changed while he's at it. But at the moment it's a parked up v7

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
How many K's has it done ?,
Has it had a hard life ?

If its manual, It shouldn't have DOD onboard anyway, going by what your saying.

Auscon

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many K's has it done ?,
Has it had a hard life ?

If its manual, It shouldn't have DOD onboard anyway, going by what your saying.

93000, I haven't really tested it to its limits and the guy before me had it garaged for a year. Yeah it shouldn't but who I took it too said they use the same lifters solenoids etc but it's not hooked up to the ecu (coming from someone who had a hard time understanding the issue haha). From what I have been reading on this forum is that a few have had similar issues, especially when the hardware (afm) is present but not in use.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's a 2012 VE V8, so it has an L77, fitted with all the DOD equipment, but being a manual, DOD is turned off in the ECU.

Pull the spark plugs out, remove a rocker cover, turn the engine over with a wrench on the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft.
Inspect the rockers on each cylinder. Make sure they open and close each valve. Do both banks of the engine, but be particular with cylinders 1 and 7, 4 and 6. If the lifters in those cylinders collapse, they effectively shut down that particular cylinder.

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Mechanic is right that is unburnt fuel, but collapsed lifter does sort of sound more rooted than what you’ve described, like a broken engine. Also if lifter collapsed then no or much less fuel getting in cylinder, not a valve stuck open.
So is spark or bad O2. Replace plugs, read diagnostic codes, all of them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Unburnt fuel is usually black not white.

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II

Auscon

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a 2012 VE V8, so it has an L77, fitted with all the DOD equipment, but being a manual, DOD is turned off in the ECU.

Pull the spark plugs out, remove a rocker cover, turn the engine over with a wrench on the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft.
Inspect the rockers on each cylinder. Make sure they open and close each valve. Do both banks of the engine, but be particular with cylinders 1 and 7, 4 and 6. If the lifters in those cylinders collapse, they effectively shut down that particular cylinder.

Exactly what he said, essentially I have a v7 at the moment with a suspected shut off cylinder 7. Few if any are getting above 100% compression. I will post back when it's complete, he's booked out for 2 weeks.