Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 Holden Commodore VE SV6 Series II reliability

Zaafsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/a
Hi all,

It is the end of 2018, and I am sure there are many posts relating to this car, but I am going to be annoying and ask about it again.

I am thinking of purchasing this car in the new year second hand under 100,000kms and I just wanted to know if there were many problems with the car.

I asked my mate who has a 2012 model, and he said he has had no issues, and I just wanted more peoples' opinions.
I am aware of the timing chain issues that VE's are known for but apparently this issue stopped at 2011.

Would someone please clarify that this is the case, or if there are any other issues I should be aware of before purchasing a 2013 VE?

Much appreciated.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Timing chains seen to pop up even on late ve,s. Service history is a must with these engines if it's a bit hit and miss move on., Any that have extra servicing take a look at, lower the kms you can get the better and service every 7500kms.

Also check for drive line vibrations(if auto)seems a few had torque converter problems

Zaafsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/a
Timing chains seen to pop up even on late ve,s. Service history is a must with these engines if it's a bit hit and miss move on., Any that have extra servicing take a look at, lower the kms you can get the better and service every 7500kms.

Also check for drive line vibrations(if auto)seems a few had torque converter problems

That's all I needed, thank you so much!

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Had one since 2013, never had 1 issue. Thy run way better and cleaner on Premium 95.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have a 2012 s2 and no real issue. Had a prob with radio not turning off . Fixed under warranty and slight water leak which was hard to find but easy to fix. Other than that no other issues.

syl3ns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY12.5 Z Series
Got mine second hand also. Should be the same engine as the sv6 you're looking at. Was very low on power and response. Gained 70kw at the wheels by upgrading the intake and getting a tune (130-200). These engines can do a fair bit, but as already mentioned, halve the service timing to every 7500 km. I lose 1-2 litres of oil in that time. Quite straight forward and fun you service these yourself.Finally, with the higher compression they love the premium fuel.