Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 MY14 Caprice V withTPMS

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I bought a set for some spare wheels, the battery is inactive until it senses rotation.
I think in a Holden it needs to rotate, speed above 16km/h for 20 seconds, before the system activates, and reads the current pressure.
Before that, it will retain the previous pressure readings.
The factory sensors in my Maloo wheels are over 8 years old now, and still has very good battery health.
Very Good info to know, More info the better for me and other member that know noting about Holden TPMS. How do you check the Battery level.?
Thanks

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Yes I have it in "my watch" in our ebay account and I will buy it. Tell me does it tell you the Battery Condition? Can't see anything about Battery Condition for the valve itself. Also IN "BLUE" whats the Difference?Most are orange.

It has a low battery indicator but not sure if its for the TPMS battery or for the battery of the scan tool. I bought mine 3 years ago so maybe they went from blue to orange colour for the scan tool.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Very Good info to know, More info the better for me and other member that know noting about Holden TPMS. How do you check the Battery level.?
Thanks

I've got an Autel TPMS tool, it tells battery health and sensor serial number.
Also checks key fob battery health.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
TMPS sensors use a cheap tabbed CR2450 lithium battery that is permanently soldered to the sensor board. The sensor board itself along with the soldered battery is placed as an assembly within the plastic sensor body. The whole lot is then encapsulated in a silicone potting compound (to protect it from moisture and/or stop people fiddling with it).

As such it's obvious the manufacturers doesn't want you playing with it as they consider the whole TPMS sensor to be a throw away item. Very annoying as the battery itself costs around the $5 mark (consumer physical shop price) so it's much cheaper than the cost of replacing the whole assembly (at around $50 each on eBay). But the battery can be replaced though its a pain in the rear to do. So it's probably not worth it for most when factoring in the PITA value. First you'd have to pry off the plastic case and then scrape away the potting compound. Once done, you can unsolder the old battery and solder a new battery in its place. Finally you can reapply some potting compound ($130/kg) and you're done.

It's rather annoying as it would have been a simple no brainer to design the sensor body to allow for battery replacement during a tyre change. A CR2450 battery compartment costs around $2 at an electronics store and much less in bulk, so in volume, it wouldn't have cost the manufacturer much at all other than the lost opportunity costs to sell us the part again and again (thanks to planned obsolescence).

Luckily there are plenty of YouTube videos showing us how to replace the batteries for the various TPMS sensor around. Just need interest, patience and a little spare time to do it :rolleyes:

PS: the TPMS tool is on the shopping list...

PPS: an interesting teardown of a RAV4 TPMS sensor below which seems on of the easier ones to pull apart

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've got an Autel TPMS tool, it tells battery health and sensor serial number.
Also checks key fob battery health.
There a plenty of Autel expensive unit on ebay, Is your available on ebay and if so can you select it to show me which one you got.
Thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There a plenty of Autel expensive unit on ebay, Is your available on ebay and if so can you select it to show me which one you got.
Thanks

It's probably available on eBay, it is Autel TS401 TPMS tool.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
maybe I've missed something but I assume the full size spare wheel has a tpms valve in it.
any reason why Holden wouldn't add this to the tyre pressure screen in the dash so you could know when your spare is flat.
if it hasn't, wouldn't it have been a good idea to add one so it's pressure could be monitored as well?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe I've missed something but I assume the full size spare wheel has a tpms valve in it.
any reason why Holden wouldn't add this to the tyre pressure screen in the dash so you could know when your spare is flat.
if it hasn't, wouldn't it have been a good idea to add one so it's pressure could be monitored as well?
The sensor requires the wheel to rotate above a certain speed, for a certain time, to activate.
The sensor in the spare would never activate, so you'd never know the true tire pressure.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortually the TPMS monitors only 4 tyres not 5. Yres it would be good if they had on the screen 4 tyres in formation like what on the car but on the side of the centre screen they have a 5th tyre there too and monitor it too.